Decouplers

crosbystills

I must admit I bought a set of those magnetic couplers, wonderful things. If it is a good idea, someone will come out with one, there are lots of companies that see a gap in the market to make things. I suspect he wants it motorised so he can do it remotely, either by a switch or using DCC.

...decoupler ramp with motor or motor ready.

Hornby do do a 'motor ready' version, the R8244

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/remote-uncoupler-unit.html

/media/tinymce_upload/e081d6e66e9167225f08c9d69db5f188.jpg

This product is included in the Hornby RailMaster track plan layout tool. So that a DCC address can be assigned to it and operated by clicking a screen decoupler icon.

A R8243 point motor and a free Accessory Decoder port is required to make this work in RailMaster. RailMaster has a specific entry in the .INI file to set the 'ramp-up' operating time [the default is 5 secs, but can be edited]. In the absence of RailMaster any free-standing DCC hardware controller can operate it too.

The only downside is that it is designed for the R8243 Solenoid point motor. Being 'Surface Mounted' makes it rather unsightly in my opinion.

If the layout is DC controlled, then the R8243 can also be operated manually with a switch just like any other Solenoid point motor.

EDIT: Others posted whilst I was busy finding an image to post.

Being as there are quite a lot of people on this site that don't like solenoid operated point motors (not me), then I assume he was looking for a motor diven one. Sort of thing DCC Concepts make.As I say I am into the magnetic ones, the only issue being NEM sockets are not standard. When Hornby fit them to coaches that are the right size, unfortunately Bachmann ones are too wide.

I have 5 x  R8244's in my layout and I have had to modify every one. The ribs on the ramp are too high for most rolling stock and need to be sanded down. In addition the small feet, meant, I presume, to clip under the rails to keep the decoupler in position are "rubbish" I have super glued all my decouplers in place.

There is a need for a dedicated Hornby (dedicated to Hornby rolling stock) decoupler.

I am confused, I mention that some people want a motor driven one and that it is of no use to me as I use the magnetic ones even though these cause some issues with NEM couplings. So why the comment? I assume some people want a motor driven one so they can adjust the height, but who knows. As I said in one of my posts, it is probably Dapol or DCC concepts that will come out with one some time. DCC concepts already have the technology to do it.

I have a mixture of new and old stock. Yesterday getting my brand new Dapol Western trying to couple to some old Hornby coaches was difficult and then trying to get them apart afterwards was even more difficult. The biggest issue I have is couplings uncoupling themselves whilst moving. Hence the use of magnetic ones. Back on the original subject, that Hornby one is nearly as old as me, admittedely they have changed the track type several times over that period but the method is still the same. They have modernised it by making it solenoid controlled. Trouble is NEM couplings are higher than the old Hornby ones, so would it work on all types?

Are they higher, maybe they are but if that is the case they wouldn't couple with older types, which they do.The prong under the hook is usually the same distance above track level. Tension lock couplings shouldn't uncouple under tension. 

Then NEM socket us higher on some rolling stock but then a stepped  coupling is used to level things out. 

Over the years I converted all of my rolling stock to narrow couplings.