Big problem just happened

Roger1707821911

Was running my R3619 Castle class (DCC) when. for no apparant reason it slowed down and cam to a standstill.

Switching to another loco on the same track on my Select and all was well.

Returning to the Castle, I can hear the motor speed up and slow down in synch with the Select speed control but there is no drive to the wheels.....  just the sound of the motor.

I,m distraught !!!

Roger   (Chalford)

Probably the motor has moved backwards and disengaged with the intermediate gear, it happened with my King. Take the loco body off and you will see what is wrong. I don't know on this one how the motor is held in but it might just be a case of clipping it back in.

If you can hear the motor running, one or more of the gears in the train taking the drive from the motor to the wheels has come out of mesh, broken or is spinning on the shaft to which it should be attached.  Can you turn the driving wheels by hand?  You will have to take the body off and check the integrity of the gears - Service Sheet 346C and the loco's Maintenance Sheet should help.  

If you can hear the motor running, one or more of the gears in the train taking the drive from the motor to the wheels has come out of mesh, broken or is spinning on the shaft to which it should be attached.  Can you turn the driving wheels by hand?  You will have to take the body off and check the integrity of the gears - Service Sheet 346C and the loco's Maintenance Sheet should help.  

Yes I can turn the wheels manually

If the motor is correctly positioned in its mounts and the mounts themselves are correctly secured to the chassis block, have the teeth on the top transfer gear been worn away denying meshing with the worm on the motor shaft?

I wouldnt think they are worn..its only had about 40 minutes total running time.

Its odd that it just started so suddenly

If the gear does not have worn teeth and is out of mesh with the worm on the motor shaft, the motor (or the forward end of it) must have moved upwards.  Have you taken the motor out of its mounts to physically check its positioning and the fastening of the lower mount to the chassis block?  A screw may have gradually slackened until meshing was lost.

It should be an easy fix, but is unusual.

The mount underneath the motor screws into the chassis - this would be 'the suspect' but unusual, as mounting also relies on the encasing mount which goes over the motor, and is secured elsewhere.

To move out, there's the end-plate which could work loose as well.

My concern is that the metal worm could have caught the gears, badly meshed and damaged them.

If it's not obvious, with the HSS346C in front I would carefully dismount and reassemble the gears and motor drive - including end-plate.

Good luck.

Al.

Thanks Going Spare  and atom3624 and everyone who helped.

I have found the problem.....  the gear on the axle of the centre driving wheels was off its spline,

I have pushed it back onto the spline with a tine drop of thread-locker......

Now its a matter of re-assembly.....  easier said than done with my poor dexterity/eyesight

Roger  (Chalford)

@Chalford

When you moved the axle gear back into position and secured it with thread locker, did you notice if the gear was split?

A split gear may explain why it has been pushed along the axle and out of alignment with the rest of the transmission. If that is the case, its unlikely that thread locker will provide a permanent fix and the axle gear will need replaced.