Accessory decoder issues

geoffb41

Having issues trying to get my accessory decoders to work. from what i can find on the forum  50/07 and higher should be 8247 and lower than 50/07 should be 8216 if this is correct have 4 that seem wrongly labeled

Label       stamp no.

8216         50/07

8247         10/12

8247          49/10

8247           35/12

Understand u can't read cv from 8216 so if railmaster can't read them guess they would be 8216 which is maybe why i'm having program issues as been trying to program as 8247

Some R8247s were mislabelled as R8216 and as you say the code 50/07:is the transition point. I.e. if the label says it is R8216 and the code is =>50/07 then it is an R8247. From memory they were correctly boxed as R8247 just mislabelled.

The /07 represents the year so your assumption is incorrect as all your units are R8247s, the others being 2010 and 2012 manufacture. The mislabelling is not retro i.e. no unots labelled R8247s were R8216.

The reason your units are not reading back in RM could be one of several. Often they readback odd addresses anyhow. They should all program normally. It is likely you have not got something set right or your procedure is off in some way. The procedure is fairly simple. Connect only the unit you are programming to the eLInk or Elite (you dont say which you are using) PROG terminals, call up the RM signal and point programming screen, pick R8247, insert the port address not group address you want to use, amend the pulse length or make always on if for signal lamps and press go. The unit will program and populate the fields as confirmation. Repeat with the next unit. Note if using with solenoids connect a motor to the fourth port, position the slug mid way and when the unit has programmed it will kick the solenoid to prove it has programmed.

The only difference between programming as an R8226 and an R8247 is that the former can only be programmed to fixed pulse not continuous and theprogramming screen is so limited, whereas the R8247 screen shows both variable length pulse and continuous options.

thanks for all the info.i need to try and sort this out as i have about 15 accessory decoders (mix of 8216 & 8247) and have so far only been able to get two working

a few years back i had them all sorted and working thru railmaster but a bit rusty now on how i did it.

Mostly seem to be able to program them and the 8247 readback with correct addresses but when i connect them to the main track power neither the elite or RM can make them operate. Sometimes i can get 1 port working but only in one direction. they are peco points and i have the green in the middle

with the 8216 only supporting reg mode does this mean you can only program them with the elite and not RM even though they show as option in the drop down menu 

I am sure I programmed my single R8216 with RM. I have it on the test board at present so later today I will hook it up to the Elite and RM and see what happens.

The R8216 is such a pest to set up what with pre-charging, etc that once I had it programmed as Group 1 Ieft it there.

One thing I would suggest is before you do anything take each PAD in turn and reset it by writing value 8 to CV8 just like a loco decoder. Then you can test each one port by port on Group 1 addresses (1 to 4) to see if they are serviceable or not.

I prefer using the Elite as a programmer as you can see what you are doing and you are in control. With RM it wanders off and does stuff while you twiddle your thumbs. 

I have been fiddling about with an R8216 and RM. If you pick it (as R8216) from the programming selection it offers you only port addresses. No option to change the pulse length as this is fixed.

If you try to read it using the signal and point programmer (as R8216) green tick it tells you reading is not supported and tou can only write to the module.

When trying to write a new address to it with the blue pencil it pretends to do it but hangs until I X out of the dialogue and when tested it hasn’t accepted the new port addresses.

Next problem that raised its head is now it will only fire any one port one way only. I then have to leave it for a long time before it will fire another one. I think the charging circuit is kaput. Not bad considering it is 15 years old and has been subject to some odd trials, including trying to update it, which failed. I think the time has come to retire that one.

Summary - you can only program the R8216 in Reg mode. Look up what each of the 8 registers are for. They are not updatable and can only be used in fixed pulse mode to operate solenoids. Some R8247s were mislabeled as R8216 but the => 50/07 date code acts as a reliable identifier.

Summary - you can only program the R8216 in Reg mode. Look up what each of the 8 registers are for.

Registers as documented in the NMRA standard.

Register 1 is the address register. I think valid addresses in this register might be limited to 001 to 127.

Register 8 is highlighted as this is the equivalent of CV8. Write a value of 8 to factory reset.

/media/tinymce_upload/0adce5c2d1db89465a22c3f7d93e5646.jpg

Although the note above talks about the controller being able to read and write in Reg mode, the read limitation is likely to be dictated by the decoder.

From that list we can see you can reset an R8216 by writing value 8 to register 8 as normal.