1980s HST 125

Potrail2378

Hi, I have two Intercity 125s sets - two power cars and two dummy cars. 

They don't have any couplings on them! I would like to be able to run a power car and a dummy car together, just on their own, but they will not couple without a coach in between them. 

Any part numbers for an extra coupling, etc would be very helpful. 

Thanks in advance. 

I know what you mean.

These power and dummy cars have the coupling loop, but no hooks. There are no mountings for hooks.

There are, I believe, no straight forward to fit other couplings with hooks, as the existing couplings incorporate the air tanks, and clip onto the bogie frame.

The simplest option is to form a loop of wire around the two coupling loops...

"Potbus2378"

Simplest solution: Remove the current couplings. Cut off the loop. Then cut a slot in the air brake tanks & superglue an NEM Coupling pocket into the recess. Height & positioning of the new NEM pocket must be checked before finally glueing in place. Then of course you can put whatever type of coupling you want into the NEM pocket, whether it be Marklin, Felischmann, Roco, British standard or even a real life type Kadee Buckeye........

The Duke 71000  

Yes, I did read that, but later he was on about pushing coaches so assumed he had coaches with hooks. I assumed he just had the bogies without the clipon coupling. I didn't even realise they clipped on until one of mine fell off while I was sorting out the pickups.

ColinB - thanks for your time searching this out, but it's just not what I'm looking for - I need the metal hook which attaches to this. And no, it wasn't me who was pushing coaches around with the front of the HST!

Going Spare - you're on the same wavelength as I am. All I'm trying to do is get the two units running together on their own. 

Right now I've cannibalised an old wagon for its hooks, it's still in the workshop right now, but will be on the layout tomorrow. 

The Duke 71000 - thanks for the tip, which I have modified. I cut the loop off, and used the Dremmel to cut down to the air tanks. Then I drilled out the couplings from a scrapped track cleaner (the old one, with the strip of material that you soak with IPA and it drags underneath the track cleaner), then drilled holes in the original coupling and used track pins to screw them together. Perfect! Cheers.