Hornby trains and track to sell

Icarpdiem

This forum has no features or functionality to support buying & selling. Therefore it is not allowed.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Try Hattons, Rails of Sheffield and your local model shop if you are looking to sell these items, see who will give you the best price.

I wouldn't go down the eBay route if I were you, it's best to get it seen by the companies listed above who will give you a fair and honest price, seeing as you have a large collection, rather than a price that is ten's of pounds under what you were expecting for the item.

Hattons for instance will likely sell each item individually - most likely resulting in more money for you, rather than just throwing it onto eBay as a job lot.

I'd go down the ebay route if I were you: my thinking is that any retailer will need to make a profit on what you have and so will have to offer under the market price to make a profit. This may however be made up for by the ebay + paypal charges which amount to about 15% of the sales price including postage (dont forget to mark that up) and of course the hassle of packing and posting umpteen bits - making sure they' re tracked ie signed for.

If you're in a rush by all means sell to a retailer, but if you have time and patience ebay can get the best price, particularly on £1 selling fee special offer days - I rush to get my old junk on ebay every time one of those comes along.

The most important thing is not to expect good prices for old stuff that is not rare: unfortunately a lot of that stuff doesn't look too new. And is not that rare. As an example I'm in the market for a particular wagon from 1973 and it pops up a quite frequently on ebay - but at under £5 I'll buy one, that's the correct price, not £29 as some people want for it, bearing in mind 21000 were made. So I bide my time. 

If you want to value stuff, look at what things are actually going for on ebay, just find the same item and click on  "watch this item". Ignore buy it now prices, that's just sellers trying their luck. Superb photography from every angle, in focus and nicely lit with as much text as you can manage always seem to go down well in getting the best price. At the moment my line of "This christmas give the gift that says you care - a Hornby 9f tender chassis for spares or repairs" went down very well for a misc. bunch of old tat.

"If you have something to say, say it. If you have nothing to say, use showmanship!"

Good luck! And if you sell on ebay , let us know what to look out for and when!