Two locomotives jerky at a slower speed

Will Hay

No matter how hard I try [and I've been at this eleven months solid now] I have two [of fourteen] locomotives I just can't fix.

They're both railroad versions...

Evening Star R2785 and

Tornado RXXXX

Extremely frustratingly, they run perfectly at a speed that's just a little too fast, and reducing the speed results in jerks/a slow down.

I don't run them at crawling speed, thd speed I want couldn't be considered 'slow'.

I'm close to cutting my losses and replacing them with bachmann [i very nearly bought a non-railroad version of the cock o' the north today, but after pushing the seller for further information he reported it jerks at slower speeds and, to quote, 'a result of the poor motor hornby fitted'] but, specifically the evening star, I'm very reluctant to let it go so I'm turning to the forum for a last ditch attempt at resolution.

I have railroad versions of the A4 Mallard, A4 Falcon and A1 Flying Scotsman, all of which are superb.

For the first time tonight I've read that some people have reported that an adjustment to a CV can be successful.

Dors anyone have any insight on this?

I had hoped to list both locomotives R numbers, but the ebay listing for the Tornado simply states [taken from set].

It was new but came unboxed.

Thanks.

Which decoder(s) have you fitted to the naughty locos.

You have probably read about altering CV150 which is for the motor control algorithm of Hornby TTS sound decoders. Not all non sound decoders support CV150. You will have to check the decoder spec sheet.

If the valve gear and motion rods are worn, bent, need lubricating or the drivers are even slightly out of quartering it can affect slow running.

If the decoders are the newer R8249 then you can adjust CV10 but if they are the old R8215 decoders often found lurking in elderly DCC-Fitted locos then these are unreliable and should be replaced, by a better decoder.

Try a different make of decoder, that seems to make a big difference. The other thing I found with Railroad versions is that they don't always have tender pickups. On my Tornedo I added pickups to the tender. I must admit I have a couple of Railroad A3s and I have never noticed this issue, they are both running with TTS decoders. The only issue I did have was the front bogie derailing which I cured with a spring.

I have just tried my Bon Accord A3, which was a Railroad version fitted with the A1/A3 TTS and it runs smoothly at a really slow speed and above, by slow speed I mean virtually a crawl. Trouble is if Hornby have been swapping motors then mine could be from a different batch and a good one.

I tend to use Zimo decoders the £20.00 variety, plus TTS decoders if they exist for that model. In the A1/A3s I have the TTS decoders which surprisingly work ok (if you read my other posts, I seem to have a lot of issues with TTS). I have tried a variety of normal DCC decoders and found the Zimo ones were the best for my needs, I also found that they were more tolerant of dirty track and have a higher maximum current load. For the front spring I bought a rear or front bogie spring for an old tender driven loco. The other day I was searching for a spring for my loco driven Princess Elizabeth front bogie(the model before the current one) and I found someone on EBay doing them. You might have to get them from China they seem to do the best selection, but they seem to be OK, although I think my last ones were from somewhere in Wales. 

Sorry are you talking about the spring? If so no glue, I will to go and have a look, but I very rarely use glue, it always seems to eventually fail. I think I just fitted between the screw, I do remember spending a little while getting the length quite right.

• 1 month later...