Alternative DCC controller

Roger1707821911

At present I am using a Hornby Select controller for my modest layout...2 ovals, 5 locos and 3 points.

Whilst the Select works as it should, I  find the quality and feel of the select not really to my liking.

The switches have a sloppy feel and the rotary has a rather notchy feel which I dont find pleasant to use.

Any suggestions for a higher quality controller?

Roger  (Chalford)

As this is a Hornby forum and the rules forbid active promotion of other makes we can only recommend the Elite.

• Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.

PECO points make Electrofrog versions which the forum posts you mention usually refer to. Hornby do not make Electrofrog points, thus there is minimal conflict of interest. Hornby do however, make DCC controllers, thus a conflict exists.

Plus there is a difference with just discussing a competitors product that is allowed within the forum rules and recommending and actively promoting a directly competing product which is not allowed in the forum rules as Rob highlighted above.

I have never used a Select but are you sure the notchy feel is not meant to be like that. I think the next generation of controllers are tending towards a box that you connect to with your phone, pad or laptop then talk to it via wireless. Do a web search and you will probably see what is around. It is the sort of thing you need to go to an exhibition to actually see the thing.

Hmm.   Going to any exhibition this year and possibly for the first half of 2021 may well be impossible! Even then its very unclear what we in the UK will be able to attend? 

There are many other makes of DCC system than Hornby, many are very professional in their use and appearance. But I'm not allowed to promote them here.  You will have to do some research via Google or post the question on a non manufacturers owned forum!

But IMO the main criteria are...

Hand held or desk console. Perhaps even PC control?

Power output of system in Amps to track.

Ease of use.

Will it offer all DCC options - All Functions 0 to 28. All address numbers 1 to 9999, Ability to read CV values and write all CVs.

Be repaired in the UK easily should it ever fail (Not that often thankfully!) assuming you are UK based

Can it be upgraded or improved it to a higher spec. item?

Just a few items to consider   😉