Models so cheap

Simply because there are a lot of them. Tri-ang Jinties, Princesses and Nellies were made here in vast numbers and there are more of them than supply demands, hence for a bog standard version they sell on auction sites for the same price (or less) as an X04 motor. Some Tri-ang locos sell for a lot of money simply because they are so rare. Think of the continental prairie tank for example. 

Some of the locos that used to be pennies (literally) are now commanding high prices because people have started collecting them, probably following Pat Hammond's books. Not that long ago you could pick a fully working Transcontinental diesel up for £1 or less, now they sell for much more. 

I have sold items to Australia, and the postage can be more than the item. A word of warning from experience, if you do buy from the UK make sure the postage is insured up to the value of the item. The extra money is well worth it both for you and the seller. 

The EM2 is actually a very good model...well, the body especially.

Some think it is actually superior in some ways to the more recent RTR version...

With a replacement mechanism, and pantographs, a very good model results.

As supplied it is a very good model, and if required, a second motor bogie can be relatively easily fitted...

/media/tinymce_upload/5e2ffdd79f6aaf53a6a69ae104bcb8a1.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e8a06933b7e17861ef379892786da77f.jpg

Flushglaze windows are available....

/media/tinymce_upload/4463db98e479a9b16cbc659cde5ee5cc.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/fc4f81334ff968c04ed7dd40b712bc32.jpg

Super 4 track. Tri-ang Railways "Phase 1" original pattern overhead catenary. I think it looks better than the later "Phase 2", which uses one wire in plastic clips. This does make placing the supports easier though...

I always wanted one of these when they first came out - just looked so 'right' - all of the grilles and smart in an ugly sort of way.

The Heljan one will be superb as a running locomotive - knowing their chassis and a real admirer of same.

Interesting option to fit a 2nd power bogie on the Hornby one just the same.

Al.

I have a few of the Tri-ang version and really like them too. I didn't pay silly prices for mine either! I always wanted one when young along with a couple of the Trix EM1s. I'm glad I didn't get one of the Trix locos now as many are disintegrating due to metal fatigue. 

The main problem with them for me is that the bogie is too short and it's pretty obvious. However they run fine round 1st radius curces so that's a major bonus for me. Also easy to get spares for the motor bogies so repairable!

There are a lot around with damaged pantographs. As the same one fits the Transcontinental OH electric and the 040 OH loco these must be one of the options for new build? They are also genuine 4mm pantos rather than the 3.5mm ones more generally available as spares. They also WORK properly Rather than just being there for decoration. 

I have 4 of these two blue and two green. I decided to keep two of them untouched, but the other two (without boxes), I decided to add lights and DCC. I tried really hard to use the original motor, I remachined the wheels so they would go over my Peco Streamline points. After a few days trying and one dead DCC decoder, I eventually gave up and replaced the motor with a more modern Hornby class 66 one, a guy in Gloucester does the conversion. Put extra pickups on the trailing bogie and changed the wheels, it runs really well. I did the conversion on the other one myself, once I knew what to do ( I also found some better ways to do things). I must admit I didn't want to replace the motor but it is a much better loco now. I have two of the new Heljen ones, and I agree with you the old Triang one is a nicer looking model. Who makes the better pantographs?

It all comes down to the good old "Supply and Demand" people will charge the maximum they can get. I am into classic motorcycles. A few years ago I was horrified to find that a range of books that identify the models and changes per year, which in this country cost about £20 new, £5.00 round an autojumble for a secondhand copy, were fetching about £200 each in the US.

I had the Triang EM2 Elektra in the early 'sixties, and remember it as a powerful and robust model. I also bought one in kit form, which Hornby produced in the early 'seventies but, despite diligently assembling it, it wasn't a good runner. Happily, in those days, and for no extra charge, you could send it to Margate for adjustment and it was returned to me in perfect working order. Wish I still had them both. 

I have 5 EM2's with their working pantograghs though a few are broken, would be great if new ones could be made and sold by Hornby spares section, ( might try a trix new replacement top section to see if they are the same size as the Trinag ones) 

There are a number of Triang locos where so many were made that there is no shortage of good second hand ones here in the UK, Jinty, Deeley loco, 2MT tank, Princess, Transcontinental F7 A unit and Dummy A unit, Blue double ended cab, and dummy units and Hiawather pasfic locos a few that come to mind