New loco and Accessories

tony_forward

I recently collected - at long last - a Bachman 2-HAP ages after ordering it!

The unit number is 6061. So, logically the DCC is would be 6061.

However, with the loco on the programming track my Railmaster/Elink  combination would not program the loco to 6061. Every other number was fine, but starting with 60 was a big no-no.

I am assuming it's because accessory decoders use 60 as a starting point So unless others have any better ideas I have used the head code instead of the unit number.

Am I on the right track? 

I am assuming it's because accessory decoders use 60 as a starting point.

That addressing only applies to the Select controller in isolation.

RailMaster with either Elite or eLink supports to following addressing ranges:

• Locomotive decoders 0001 to 9999
  • Accessory Decoders (i.e points) 0001 to 2048

Note that 0001 to 2048 overlaps with 0001 to 9999 this is because the DCC Standard has the ability to include a device type indicator [loco or accessory] in the DCC protocol 'Packet' structure.

What the Select does, is automatically put addresses that are inputted in the 01 to 59 range inside a 'Loco' DCC Packet and automatically puts addresses 60 (61) to 99 in an 'Accessory' DCC Packet. Note that on the Select, there is no separate buttons for a 'Locos' and 'Accessory'. The Elite does have these extra buttons, thus the addressing overlap can be supported because you can use the 'Loco' and 'Accessory' buttons on the Elite to tell it what type of DCC 'Packet' [Loco or Accessory] you want to send to the device being controlled.

I have no idea why your 60xx address is not being accepted, theoretically it should be using your RailMaster / eLink controller.

If you are not using the button indicated in the screengrab below to change the address, then this one might work better.

/media/tinymce_upload/8dfbd20c1b9b4187a1d895145341e9f3.jpg

Alternatively if you are already using the button indicated above, try this button instead in the CV write screen.

/media/tinymce_upload/a7ab3e0bfe2f61a5413c30e26c3c3585.jpg

If you have used both options above and the decoder still wont accept a 60xx address, then try a different decoder.

More likely the OP is trying to input a four digit number into CV1, which throws a wobbly. Use the Sigma icon to input a four digit address and it does what the controllers do and works out what to put in CVs18 and 17. I put them in that order because that is the way NMRA files them.

The OP should be aware there are two processes going on...

1. Address the loco.

2. File the loco in the RM roster.

Normally the loco would first be addressed by the controller then listed in the RM roster. If you only have RM and eLink then you need to carry out both actions from within RM, in either order but using slightly different techniques according to that order.