DCC Cut out switch

Guest Chrissaf

I wouldn't use a 'short circuit' to cut power. A 'short circuit' could have negative effects, such as stressing the controller unduly and has the potential to corrupt DCC decoder configurations.

Why not run the output of your Elite going to the track via contacts in a relay. Then use the microswitch on the panel to operate the relay when lifted.

OR

If you want to make this 'fail-safe' then wire it so that the relay is always normally operated and the panel microswitch cuts power to the relay to break the contacts. That way, if the supply used to operate the relay fails, then the DCC side will 'fail-safe'.

To accommodate either of the two relay options mentioned, you need a relay with two sets of change-over contacts. Termed DPDT [Double Pole Double Throw]. Using a relay means that you can intercept the existing feed to the track fairly easily [placing the relay near the Elite] and negate the need to extend the track feed back and forth across the layout to the lift out section location. Typically a relay with 12 volt DC coils so that it can share a general purpose 12 volt DC power source that you might use for layout lighting and other scenic accessories etc.

My removable section is a slider but the principle is the same for a lift out or hinged section.

Either side of the gap make yourself an isolated section by introducing IRJs at a convenient track joint. These sections must be long enough to allow a fast train to stop before reaching the gap.

Now using whichever switching system you decide upon, arrange for the main track bus to be fed to these isolated sections only when the gap is bridged.

In my case, which will not suit everyone, the main track bus is fed to the removeable section via an auto-connection plug. When the section is in place this bridge power is passed back to the isolated sections via further contacts in the plug. This method saves me having micro-switches or relays and arranging a power supply for that circuit. Auto-connection plug ? - simply a bit chopped off a plug together terminal block.

i have built a lift out panel for my railway layout as I opperate my trains from the middle of the layout 

I use an Elite controller

when I lift out the panel with DCC the track reminds live and could allow a loco to drop in the opening if I forget to replace the lift out.

Can  you loverly forum members,   please suggest a method to kill or short out the track as soon as the lift out panel is removed to avoid accidents 

I have tried a microswitch,  which can operate a warning light  but that doesn't prevent the track remaining live 

thanks in anticipation Andy 

I alway's wire my lift out section, where the power feed goes to the track bus wires on the lift out section with a plugable choc block (i don't like my trains running when there's a three foot gap in the layout). I like too keep things simple, though truth be known, i wouldn't have the brains to do it any other way ;).

My removable section has to be slide out as it is a double track running over two bridges at two levels, and quite heavy, so I was unable to hinge it without either clever hinging or lift it out without damage.

/media/tinymce_upload/9e62bbeece375ecd75c34b8e243eafc1.jpg

This is the safety ‘switch’.  2 pins are power in from the main bus and 2 pins power out to the isolated section. Same at the other side to feed that isolated section but only 2 pins used. You could use this idea mounted vertically at the open side of a hinged section.

/media/tinymce_upload/7ecae28335671b9cae4e671cf962bfe8.JPG

Whoa RAF, i'm lucky i didn't read that last night! Or the wife would have thought i was dreaming of her, oh worse still another woman!! Hmm two six inch ducts conecting the two garages, a two flow and two return lines. We'd need mini camera's on the tunels and block detection, it would be cool :). 

Wonder is there some where in the world that two railway modeler's have done this? Though i'm sure their wives wouldn't be happy, as that would be twice the fun. And we know they think something is a foot if we're happy  🫨.

At risk of totally hi-jacking this thread...

...there was a tale of a guy who lived adjacent to I believe the M6 and at the bottom of his garden he found a large pipe under the motorway when he was clearing his garden for an outdoor railway.

Now the incredible bit, he shouted down the pipe and a guy answered from his garden on the other side of the motorway and yes unbelievably he had a garden railway as well.

In the end they set up a trans-pipe shuttle. What are the chances of that happening.

• 3 months later...

I'm maybe late too the party with these, but these powerpoint dowels look ideal for a lift out/slide in section. I think i'm going to give these a go, and do away with my plugable choc blocks which can be abit awkward.

PowerPoint Dowel Installation Guide (dccconcepts.com)

Thought i'd post it in this thread, as it was about cut out switch for lift out sections. Plus it kills two birds with one stone, being a switch and an alignment tool :).

Depending upon how many you intend to use they are a tad expensive at £35 for four, plus I wonder about their current carrying capability using spring loaded contacts - site only says they exceed the DCC load requirement.

Good points as always RAF, especially the price, they aren't cheap. If they where in or around the twenty quid mark (i'd need five of them :( ), i think i'd have shown more enthusiasm, and emailed them about the current carrying capability. I think i'll leave the good old choc block alone ;).

You say you have a micro-switch that lights a warning light.

I have two micro-switches. My access is a flap. The side with the hinges is not a problem as any train running will come up against the flap, which acts as a buffer and impedes its progress.

However, the other side is a 900mm drop to the floor.

So one micro-switch illuminates a warning light and the other one, breaks one line of the DCC buss. This is the feed to a 810mm section of the base board. So all tracks, (5 in total), on that section are dead when the flap is open. No power, no train movement.

Some may say why such a long length, well its easier to break the circuit at a board join and it's inside my layout tunnel so blind.