Dapol Track Cleaning Pickups

ColinB

I have a Dapol Track cleaning wagon, the one with the motor and vacuum. It is never worked very well as a track cleaner, which I assumed was because it couldn't pick up power from the dirty track to run the motor. So I added DCC so than I could add some "Stay Alive" to improve things. Anyway after that didn't work that well, I analysed the pickup mechanism. To me the pickups seem at least 1 to 2 mm too short, most of the time barely touching the conductive pads on the body, so of course they only occasionally work. I cannot imagine a manufacturer would make such a big mistake so am I missing something? I bought the cleaner from new so it is entirely standard.

I noticed Gaugemaster are now selling it, does anyone know if they have improved it?

You could try moving the power pick up on to the wheel axle, far better way of powering things on rolling stock in my opinion. 

If you don't mind, what do you think about the hover side of the track cleaner. I have a Sarge (and love it), and not interest in the rail cleaning side of it. I would love too have the hoovering done by loco, and have been thinking about this track cleaner for that reason. Would it be woth it for just the hoover side, does it pick much up?

The hoover bit is the only part of it worth bothering about in my opinion. It definitely picks all sorts up, fluff, pins, odd bits of loco, etc. Just be careful not to run it flat out as per the caveat in the instructions.

The wizzy disk is ideal for changing points as you pass over them and derailing the whole lot.

The  fluid tank is small and the dripper is not adjustable so it runs out in a very short time.

Its a OO enlargement of a N gauge Tomix product which works well but unfortunately has not scaled up well. If you are using as a vacuum cleaner it is advsible to run some sealent along the body joint in the dust compartment, MIne burnt out - it turned out that dust had crept through the joint and encased the motor which managed to carry out working but drawing more and more current until the point both it and the pick up arrangement failed.