New DCC Controller

Guest Chrissaf

One final comment from me. When you add the points (one at a time) add them with the R8232 DCC Point Clips already pre-installed. That way there is a better chance of a point, if it is faulty, tripping the Select.

As you don’t have a multi-meter, here is a simple test you can do to your track. Disconnect the track power feed wires at the Select and put the controller aside for now.

Connect a battery and bulb to the wires going to the track. 

I have a battery and buzzer with crocodile clips that I hook onto the rails instead, making it hands free. A cheap circuit tester screwdriver with clip on lead will work just as well. Or you can use a simple torch for this test by unscrewing the end cap and touching one wire to the exposed battery and the other wire to the torch body to complete the circuit making sure the torch is switched on.

If the bulb lights it means there is a short between your rails somewhere on the layout

If you do get a light on that first test then pull any link wires you may have between loops and test each loop individually. Any loop that lights the bulb has a problem. Any loop that does not light the bulb is good. If no lights are seen at any loop then the problem is the link wires, likely just cross connected and simply fixed by reversing the wires at one clip.

I appreciate some comments I made here may not seem necessary. But there was IMO considerable confusion around how the layout was being feed, whether point clips were used etc. This has now been cleared up by the OP reply - Thank you SNB for that. 😉

E0 is indeed a full short circuit/overload.  My initial way forward and how I would test now would be ... Remove the power track section and all the point clips (2 per point). Take the two track feed wires that were previously in the power track section (now removed, even if it leaves a gap in the track) and temporarily place the two stripped ends of wire onto the rails somewhere convenient. Hold them onto the rail tops or sides - use Bulldog clips/Crocodile clips or even two sprung clothes pegs if need be or something similar to act as temporary clamps holding the two wires to the two rails.  Power up the Select.  Does it now work correctly?  If it does, power down and then add one point at a time two point clips then power up to check all is still correct. If it is OK move onto the next point and refit those two clips and retest, repeat one point at a time until all points have their clips refitted. These clips are simple to fit items.   Assuming the layout is still working correctly then the problem is with the power track section.   But if the E0 appears at any stage its caused by something else.

TBH I've not heard of a DC power track with the internal capacitor still fitted causing a full short circuit. It usually just causes very poor running. But there is always a first for everything  😮 

Hi having looked at some images of the bus wire alternative I’m hoping there’s no need for it, I don’t have a soldering iron, multimeter or wire strippers nor have I ever had cause to use them, electrics definitely not my thing, a mass of wires under my baseboard with the grandkids occasionally around isnt what I had in mind, they will be supervised of course but kids are inquisitive. 

just Getting a bit frustrated a5 moment as I’ve invested a lot of money for about 20 circuits of the track only to find that I’m to spend more money to get going, should have bought a full DCC set from the start

mark

Try not too get fustrated Mark, it's a hobby meant for enjoyment, and one hopfully you and your grandchildren will enjoy together. If it's fustrating you, walk away for a day or two, might even work out as to give you time too think/digest things, also come back with fresh eye's. We will get you there.

As for my suggestion on Bus wires, your right forget about them. Totally unnecessary.

Wait till you get your dcc power clips, then start with a small oval nothing else, get it working. Then start making it bigger.

When happy all is working, add in one point (make sure it's runs straight trough), when working add another on oppisite side (make sure it's running straight through).

Then add another point to one that's on the track, with some track for the train too run past the point. Put a buffer stop on the track so the train doesn't run of the track. Take it in stages and let us know how it goes.

Most of all try not get fustrated, good luck. 

@ Flashbang

If the capacitor failed short - unlikely but it has been reported by Colin to have happened in one of his locos - it would invoke EO on the Select. In the loco it killed the decoder, but here the Select self protection is kicking in.