Downloading Rail-master into Window 10 in S mode

SamC

I am moving my Railmaster Pro to a new computer running Windows 10 in S mode.

I deactivated the program on my old computer and have my RM and Pro codes available.

I downloaded the rm-setup.exe file to my new laptop from the internet but when I try to open it, a message regarding Windows 10 in S mode only running Microsoft-verified apps appears.

Is the rail-master software verified by Microsoft? Is it available in the Microsoft app store?

Can I operate rail-master without switching my machine out of S mode which is permanent?

For forum readers Info

:

What is S mode?
Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.

RailMaster is basically a Windows XP application, written in obsolete MS Visual Basic 6. It is not available from Microsoft Store, and is not an APP in the traditional MS Store APP sense of the word. It is unlikely in my opinion to ever be listed on the MS Store either.

As such, it is very unlikely to meet the much higher security requirements of Windows S [security] mode. Even on normal Windows 10, installing RailMaster triggers 'do you really want to install this' security alerts. That fortunately with Windows 10 standard, you currently have an 'ignore this warning' option and can continue with the install.

Question: Is HRMS (RailMaster software developers] ever likely to completely re-write RailMaster to meet the current Microsoft 'verified product' status?

Personal opinion is that this is very unlikely.

Can I operate RailMaster without switching my machine out of S mode which is permanent?

I suggest you ask HRMS [Hornby RailMaster Support] for a comment on using RM with Windows 10 S mode.

HRMS can be contacted on support@rail-master.com

Note that HRMS are not part of Hornby, HRMS are a completely separate RM software developer, whose primary business used to be writing 'Point of Sale' TILL software called "PowerPOS", but that part of their business is now defunct and used to be based in Milton Keynes under the company name "Invicto Systems Ltd". I saw a screen shot of 'PowerPOS' on the Invicto website [now gone] and was intrigued as to how much the graphics of it looked very similar to RailMaster.

Note: HRMS do not advertise any telephone number and only communicate via email.

TIP: As a relative newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Chrissaf, thanks for your response. I have emailed 'rail-master support' regarding W10 in S mode and am waiting their reply. I will add it here when it arrives.

Geoffb41 and yelrow; also thanks. I am aware of the restrictions put in place by 'S mode' although I am not a frequent Windows user so it is a bit new to me. Previous laptop for running Rail-master was an old W7 machine used purely for my railway. I am eagerly awaiting 'Rail-master for ios' but if Chrissaf is right, I expect it will be as long coming as Microsoft verification. I expect to be reverting to standard Windows 10 once I have heard back from rail-master support.