Motorising 1/72 aircraft

Kevfix

Hi all,a while back i was browsing the ebay site and came accross a seller offering an Airfix 1/72 (i think) Whirlwind fighter that he had motorised!

Ive been thinking about it and would like to give it a bash myself,so ive found a seller with some tiny 1.5 volt motors to try out.

Anybody else tried this??

In the Jan 2003 issue of Finescale modeler magazine there was a how-to article about this subject.   Motorizing a 1/72 scale mediterranean Spitfire. 

I think they used an older style rotary motor that was the source of vibration in older cell phones.  Not sure if those are used in phones any more.  But the motors might still be available.  I think they were a little smaller than a AAA battery.

Chris

In the Jan 2003 issue of Finescale modeler magazine there was a how-to article about this subject.   Motorizing a 1/72 scale mediterranean Spitfire. 

I think they used an older style rotary motor that was the source of vibration in older cell phones.  Not sure if those are used in phones any more.  But the motors might still be available.  I think they were a little smaller than a AAA battery.

Chris

Great stuff,i found a pdf of that article,and am ready to have a bash as soon as the motors arrive 😎

Have a look on youtube at steamgeezer and son, he puts one of these motors and lights into an airfix 1/72 hurricane, did it around a year ago for a models for heros auction

Had a look at that.....very interesting,im itching to have a go!

Have a look on youtube at steamgeezer and son, he puts one of these motors and lights into an airfix 1/72 hurricane, did it around a year ago for a models for heros auction

You changed Paul to Dawn!

How did you do that?

You changed Paul to Dawn!

How did you do that?

it was originally set up for my ex years ago, and decided not to set a new account just change it over to my name and now i just cant get her name out of this I've tried changing everything ( no matter how hard i try she will just not get out of my life lol )

• 2 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/b0c3e5557d46f41f569b35ce1bcfa1b2.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/563a8ef5715c9c453b15a0bc989d0918.jpg

"Electromotor for model airplanes" from Faller (Germany). Something I bought back in the 1960's but it still sits unused in my stash...