Motor ID

NormanQ4

They are the same thing I believe.

You used to be able to get the 'single output shaft' version, but I think everyone's expecting to put a flywheel on now.

I bought several of them as well - same price or perhaps £0.50 / unit more - and found 1 in 4 had dodgy bushing, the others perfect - no difference to the Hornby items.

Basically I've got 3 for the price of 1 ... 'though they can be found on Ebay for perhaps £12-14 / unit as original Hornby ones with 'X' number.

Al.

Thanks a lot for your quick and considered responses.

Now that I know the part number I have found that it may be available at an almost local hobby shop for AU$37.45 (£21) which seems a ridiculous amount to me.

I'm not too worried about the replacement being genuine or not since the genuine version has lasted the shortest time of all my locos.

I've checked e-bay but have been unable to find the Chinese versions mentioned.

Can you, RAF or Atom or anyone else point me to a URL or other web address or link?

Next question - can the worm be removed from the original and re-used or does it have to be replaced?

A little bit of guidance on dealing with this last matter would be helpful.

I use one of these to pull gears. They vary in quality so read the reviews. In particular the mandrils can be soft.

Can’t help with a direct link to the motors as they don’t show on my Amazon or eBay accounts and my AliExpress account was registered to my old Cyprus email which is defunct, and they are sending the security verification code there anyhow, so I cannot access it to check list of past orders - sorry. Of interest the customs declaration on the package says value £7.75, so cheaper still if that was what I paid.

/media/tinymce_upload/f5c5da41aa8d4534c42479f13137f350.jpg

I bought some of those motors from China, nothing wrong with the motors biggest issue was getting the worm gear off the old one. As Going Spare says, very minimal clearance between motor and worm gear to get the puller in. I broke two pullers getting the worm gear off one old loco. Of couse it it is not helped by the Puller Manufacturers making the pins out of metal that resembles cheese. In the end I drilled out the end in a lathe and put in a cut off shank from a 2mm drill, that seemed to work. The other issue I had was sourcing the worm gear. On one of the motors it was badly chewed up and on another loco I was adding the motor to a loco built out of bits. In the end I managed to get a second hand ones, but nobody seems to sell them new.

I had difficulty finding them on EBay, I think you need to put '12-24v', 'DC motor' and '5 pole' in your search.

Have a scroll through here.

He was selling the same motor in pairs but looked to be out of stock,...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-DC-12V-24V-High-Speed-5-Pole-Rotor-Micro-Motor-Dual-2mm-Shaft-DIY-RC-HO-Car-/263575530822

.....however he seems to have every motor under the sun in one place to browse...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Hello-alian/Electric-Motors/_i.html?_sop=15&_dmd=2&_storecat=13061085014&_pgn=2