TTS R8121 Tail Lights in Hattons 66

Bellerophon

Hi All, recently bought a Hattons Class 66 in GBRf No 66740 'Sarah'. I've fitted a TTS R8121 into the Loco using a 8 pin - 21 pin convertor, but for some reason I can only get the day running lights to work and the tailights won't show. I've changed the switches inside per what the manual said but still no hope. Could this be a limatation with the model or the decoder itself? 

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

To get all the lights to work properly on these you need a 10 function decoder. I only found out by watching a YouTube video complaining about them. Rog is probably right dependant on the type of adapter in that you have to add links on some adapter boards, but I don't know if the lights will work as you want them. LokSound seem to be the only ones doing a 10 function decoder, I only found out after I bought the expensive sound option, because that was the only decoder I could find that did 10 functions. I only found out they did an ordinary decoder with 10 functions from reading the Hornby Mag advertisements last night. It is about £30.00. If you want the sound option, I got mine off CoastalDCC, they were substantially cheaper than anyone else and their's is pretty good. Originally I was going to fit a TTS decoder until I found out about all the light functions. I have to admit with the proper decoder they do work well (cab lights come on until the loco moves).

Hi Colin and Rog, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy the Legoman Biffo Sound Decoder for it, which I really am upset about due to the fact of how good the TTS one sounds!! Also found out that the Cab Light doesn't work on TTS, and I'm not really willing to wire the cablight to function F25 incase I mess the model up...

To get all the lights to work properly on these you need a 10 function decoder. 

I am very surprised to read this.  I have no knowledge of the Hattons Class 66 but I have a Hornby TTS Decoder fitted to a Bachmann Class 47 and the Directional lights work perfectly, Forward and Reverse

Hattons recommend using their own decoder for their Class 66, which has all the function outputs required. The model is far removed from a basic directionsl and maybe cab light fit seen on most other models.

Using a TTS or other limited function decoder will restrict which lighting configurations you can achieve. This has been covered on the forum previously.

Yes, RDS all my Bachmann class 66s have a TTS decoder and I was going to do the same with the Hattons one. I noticed on the one I bought initially that even with the 6 function decoder I could not get the cab lights to work. So I read the data that came with it and it doesn't mention anything about a 10 function decoder. I didn't even know there was such a thing until I watched that YouTube video. As I say I spent ages trying to find an ordinary 10 function decoder to fit into the two I bought in Hattons sale, so I eventually went with the LokSound option purely because that was the only way I could get the 10 function option. I normally get my decoders from Zimo if they are not TTS, so I don't know a lot about LokSound products. Even when you do buy the one for the Hattons class 66, you have to be careful you select the right variant it is not that obvious. 

I don't even think the Hattons standard decoders cover the 10 function option.