Select as walkabout with points

FinnerZ

My layout started with a select (well it actually started as DC) but I now have an Elite. If I give all my points decoders adresses between 61 and 99 will I be able to run them though the select when I use it as a walkabout controller. I haven't yet got

the RJ12 cable to try it with.

yes points can be controlled from the select as a slave from the elite but I understand that there are some quirks with the numbering. someone that has done it will need to explain.

there has been a lot of discussion over time on the forum re the

use of dcc for points.

my view is that unless you plan to go for automated operation under computer control that dcc points add cost and complexity.... but not benefit. It is much less expensive and more convenient to operate using simple switches or

the stud method.

having said that my points (only 7) are dcc operated as I do want to run automatically.

I throw my points by clicking on an icon on the pc screen (jmri) or I actually built a switch panel that is monitored by the pc that then

tells the points what to do..... This all works well but I can only see the benefit if computer control is your thing.

Greg

There are a few reasons why I've decided to use DCC points - one is that I like trying out new technology, secondly is that I have two tables that must be separated for storage and I have now wish to wire up a 20 pin connector etc to go between, and thirdly

I might use computer controll at some point. I actually tried using the Select's auxilary output for a point motor but the unit powered down every time as it was drawing too much power. I hope to be able to find out for myself soon enough anyway. Thank's for

your help.

yes I concur about the select aux power - it will throw points but the system comes to a halt if you do. I haven't tried using the elite aux power for this purpose and in any case I think I will keep the power to points separate.

Some of my points

may be controlled by decoder ( I can't make my mind up yet) Do you need dedicated slave walkabout selects? There seems to be a lot to control - is this why railmaster exists?
One other thing whilst I am on selects and the elite controller. Its says you

can have 8 or is it 10 selects connected to the elite. But how? Am I being stupid here but there are two RJ outputs on the back of the elite and one on each select - so how are they daisy chained together?

You don't need a slave unit but it could be useful - to call up a point on the elite in the middle of driving the train I think you have to press the accessory button, select your controller, press the button again, enter your number, then press the controller

and finally switch the point... and then go back to your loco. That's why I want to use my select as a walkabout, but you don't have to.

CONTROL at any one time? - Just one 8-) (One Knob)** .... it depends what you mean by 'Control'.
Have Moving at anyone time ? .... limited by current (choice of power supply 1A/4A optional)
Have 'remembered' at anyone time ... by which I mean knowing

whether the lights are on, and which direction, any sound functions running, etc ... I believe this is the quoted figure of 10 (which Hornby describe as the (Control) limit subject to power availability

**Elite Actually Control 2, and with Railmaster

.... Control+1 at a time..BUT with 10 displayed simultaneously and selectable as fast as you can move you mouse/finger between them ...so effectively 10 ... again subject to power capability

A DCC Controller works by sending a repeating set of commands

to the track, so that if one cycle of instructions is 'lost' due to a bad connection, the decoders receive another set within a very short time. The loco commands include Speed, Direction, Lighting (F0) and other functions. Accessory Commands are added to

the cycle if a point or signal has been operated 'recently'... and these are (usually) repeated a few times to ensure reliable reception.

Different Controllers can include a different number of locos in their 'cycle'.
I have controllers which include

only 1, 8, 10,16, 32 or 64 !!! Which is best??
The Loooonnnngggggeeer the cycle, the Sllllooowwweeerr the response of the controller in sending new speed commands! For most people 10 is more than enough to 'Control'!!
However; on a 'large' layout with

many parked locos - if they have functions 'ON', and the Emergency Stop is given and then cleared ..... how many will put their lights back on as they were before? .... this can be a clue as to how many locos are remembered in the 'cycle'. With the Select

and Elite, I expect this to be 10 [but I havn't tried more than 1 on my Select.

Archived