R8239 Power & Signal Booster

DerekGH

I need to split my DCC layout into zones so that I can have reverse loop.

Unfortunately it appear the Hornby R8239 booster in no longer available/ discontinue.

I can find a few used ones on EBay, but would prefer new kit. Does anyone have experience of using other manufacturer' boosters, if so any recommendations or words of warning based on experience with boosters.

I plan to protect each of the 3/4 zones with solid state circuit breakers Which I have already sourced

Thanking you for any advice or info

You do not need to split your layout into zones to have a reverse loop, you just need a piece of isolated track longer than your longest train.

The idea of power zones or districts is to have a single DCC controller command stream repeated to each of these separately powered zones via a signal and power booster. The R8239 unit has a built in reverse loop module function by design.

What you must never do is (Elite controller) connect the Boost connections to your existing track expecting it to boost the existing power as that is not what it does. Such an action will destroy your controller. The Boost output is a low energy repeater signal only, which is used by the R8239 to command the next power zone/district.

If you post a picture of your track plan someone will indicate where IRJs should be placed and where the RLM is connected.

I would have posted the link to a recent RLM thread but as it was you that raised it you are well aware of the discussion.

GrooteMan.

You asked a very similar question in another thread. I believe ComMod RDS changed your thread title to something more appropriate. Maybe you lost sight of your question and thread as a result.

You can see your previous similar question and the detailed answers it generated here regarding alternative non Hornby products by clicking this link.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/reverse-loop-control-alternative-to-hornby-r8238-options/?p=1/

As Rob says, you need to post an image sketch of your layout plan so that appropriate targeted and accurate advice can be given. See TIP8 in my TIPs page below regarding 'How To' post an image. Posted images will be held back for Hornby Admin approval [not ComMod approval] and will not appear straight away.

I plan to protect each of the 3/4 zones with solid state circuit breakers Which I have already sourced

Others on this forum have had either no or minimal success trying to deploy 'Circuit Breakers' when using Hornby controller kit. In my experience, 'Circuit Breakers' are a more USA concept product for use with their very high current 'Boosters' and not really suited to the relatively low currents used in UK based control systems. The UK market and Hornby in particular combine the 'Booster' function and the 'Throttle' function into one single box. Whereas USA products tend to separate those functions into separate hardware.

The problem with the Internet is that it doesn't have any International borders. People read the USA DCC control information pages and assume that the USA approach to DCC control and power distribution is adopted world-wide. Which really isn't the case. Mixing and matching predominantly USA designed products with UK/Euro derived products doesn't always work out.

TIP: As a relatively newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

As the person who came up with the double garage measure for layouts needing power districts, my general advice goes like this:

-  unless you are considering running more than 5 locos at the same time, don't worry about power districts at all

-  if you think you may run more than 5, or you are reaching double garage size, then by all means design your DCC bus into separate districts that can be connected to DCC power separately.  However, in the first instance, connect these districts together and then to a single controller and see how you go.  If you then get over current power outages on your controller, then separate them using a booster/s.

-  remember that, for the districts to help matters, your operational locos will need to be generally spread between the districts, not all operating in one of them while the others are idle.

Now return to the issue of handling reverse loops without worrying about districts.  All the info you need is contained in Chris's replies, including his RL tutorial.