Help needed to uncouple close coupled units like Hitachi 395

96RAF

Re-Posted from another thread on behalf of a member....

I have recetly purchase a Hornby Hitachi 395 and these couple together with the close couple clip system that snaps intoplace when the clip and box are pressed together. Is there a simple way of undoing these other than lifting the carriages off the track and squeezing the ends of the clip together? I've used needle nosed pliars (too big) and forceps (better) but you need to be low down and at the edge of the layout to get access between the carriages. Also, these are metallic so really the power to the DCC system needs to be turned off before you start. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

The general method of joining these sorts of couplings is to lay the coaches on their sides and push them together. Once the train is assembled stand it up onto the track. 

I should imagine removal would take a similar route. Lay the train over and prise apart. Where you prise depends upon the exact geometry of the couplings, either breaking at the coach to coach connection or parting the NEM coupling fishtail from one of the coach pockets using the forceps method to swueeze the ‘legs’ together.

In my experience, these type of trains and couplings are not designed to be constantly removed from and put back on the track. They suit being left on the track at all times and parked in a siding when not being used. In my view, the risk of damage is high if subject to constant uncoupling and recoupling.

It sounds like the same issues I have with my Bachmann 4 car EMU and my old Brighton Belle. I agree with RAF96 and Chrissaf but I must admit with my layout with bridges and tunnels it is really difficult to find the space to connect them all together upside down. The only good thing I like is that you only need one DCC decoder to get all the lights working. Then of course there is the issue of not breaking any of the connectors.

I have both 00 and N gauge Brighton Belles. I laid them on their side to join them, and they heve remained both joined, and on the track since, N gauge, in a siding, and 00, on one of my 6 running ovals. I was aware of the problem, prior to purchase, and am content to leave them coupled up.