Hst 125 Executive 1980's grey

itydog

I have a set of the original of the hst executive in grey  with a three pole ringfield motor. I recently had it converted to dcc.It was running ok considering how old it is.I now am finding that it stops and starts,can't cross points and really lacks power.I have put in new brushes and springs ,cleaned the commutator and checked the magnet ( magnet seems to be ok.) I was thinking about having the model converted to a cd drive and getting a stay alive fitted. I have had mixed messages about the conversion - some say it can't be done. Here are some questions that I would really appreciate some help with.

Can the model be converted to cd drive, if so where can I get the conversion kit ?

If the model can't be converted to cd drive should I fit another ringfield motor and stay alive ?

If I go down the ringfield motor route would I see any benefit concerning the stop starting with a 5 pole ringfield motor?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

I have exactly the same model HST that I also converted to DCC, admittedly I converted the motor to a 5 pole, but that will not improve your stopping and starting. I converted to 5 pole as my 3 pole motor was dead and I got a good deal on a 5 pole motor. What you need to do is make the dummy bogie pickup power on both tracks. Currently unless you have modified it, it only picks up power on one side while the motor picks it up from the other side. Peter's Spares were doing upgraded "Dummy" bogies when I was playing with mine which have pickups on both wheels, but I think he has sold them all. What you could do is buy the pickups for a class 90 (Hornby X8786) and modify them, or make some of your own. It is not really worth making the power bogie pickup on both tracks, although the 5 pole motor does, as the traction tyres on one side act as extremely good insulators.