My layout has a new, scary, Staionmaster!

Kevin Hodges

Hi all,

I was out in the shed last night, enoying running some locos, when my new Station Master arrived and booted me out.

The biggest mouse spider I have ever seen. I gave her the controls and said nighty nite!

Last time I dared to venture out, she had my Blue Pullman running round at full pelt.

Arrrghhh!

Kev.

A dangerous, Australian one.

Not a Huntsman or Rain spider. Not a Funnel Web.

My guess is a large Mouse Spider. They always have a mate not far away too.

I'm in the process of moving my layout back in the house so I might have disturbed her while I've been fiddling around.

My Scalextric will have to go now sadly ☹️

We shouldn't be too smug in the UK. Our House Spider, the type that can get very big in the Autumn can get big enough for it's fangs to pierce your skin and inject venom which is about as painful as a bee sting. The biggest one that I have seen came from a restaurant where they thought it was an escapee from somewhere. It had a body about the size of my thumb plus its legs. It must have just been a very warm location with plenty of food. Apparently rare but not that rare and positively identified by an expert. 

The other spider related danger we have is an invasive from abroad that I forget the name of. A boring looking brown spider, very similar to our house spider but not usually as large. It used to be around docks and warehouses but as the country warms up it's spreading into people's homes where it does things like hiding in beds and in furniture. When disturbed it bites and people may not feel the bite but the venom causes necrosis (death) of the surrounding tissue and it can get very serious. 

It makes my childhood large cockroaches and crickets brought back for me by my dad from Trafford Park in Manchester seem a bit tame. They lived in sweet jars bought from the local shop when they were empty and ate cornflakes and bread. The crickets would 'sing' when it got warm. Cheaper and easier to look after than a dog I suppose. 

Internet gives the following:

Mouse spiders, Missulena sp., vary from 10 mm - 35 mm body length and all have distinctively bulbous head and jaw regions. They are often confused with funnel-web spiders.

That's quite a reasonable size.

I was at first thinking it was the overall dimension!

I thought it was just an excuse to justify payment for the Pullman repairs ....

Al.

The driver, guard and passengers of the Pullman are under seige as Ms Mouse spider goes scampering around the layout !

I haven't the heart to kill or hurt her.

I spent a fortune on having this shed (it's a timber job), lined and insulated as well as you would a house.

Seems they still find a way in. Little devils.

If I see her, I'll take a pic.

What you do not want on your layout is the middle east camel spider, which is also known as the wind scorpion. Aggressive, fast (16kph), can be huge (> palm of hand size) and as vicious as a mad dog. Although supposedly harmless to man pictures of necrotising injuries from their bite says otherwise. 

Rana spoke of bites in UK from imported spiders. It has been reported people have had nasty injuries from garden spiders, may be the same ones.