Boxes - do you keep them?

atom3624

Some of my Merchant Navy Class, bought some years ago, came in the red drawer box, which was correct for the set they were originally part of. I then watch ebay for the correct empty M/N box, and it then gets packed away in that - I say correct box as the tenders came in two styles, and I don't want to start carving the inner foam about.  Call me fussy 😆

• 3 months later...
@BB

I have the same issue with a lot of my locos. In the case of rebuilt Merchant Navy and Battle of Britain I found there was very little space to put in a decoder, worse still a TTS decoder plus speaker. I decided to put all the DCC in the tender and connect using the 4 pin lead and PCB. Trouble is the loco and tender are permanently connected together as it is not a good idea to connect and disconnect the 4 pin plug from socket (about 10 to 20 goes for that type of connector), so yes I had to start carving the inner foam. I didn't want to do it, but it was a choice between that or eventually having to replace the plug and socket. I do the same as you, wherever possible I try and buy a proper Hornby box for any unboxed items, but people want stupid money for the boxes.