Rocket R3810

rp003p5

Happy New Year to any who pick this up and run with it...

I was a very lucky recipient of the above from Father Christmas (ok - it was my wife).  I have followed all of the instructions, waited for the hornby 6 pin decoder (like a good boy), oiled and programmed all good except...

I do not think I have enought traction or pickup on my nice clean, level track.  I even reverted back to DC to check and same result.

Does anyone have any other advice before I launch into a return process?

Just an FYI I am running this with the barrel open as I cannot get that decoder to fit.  I reckon I woudl have to chop 2mm off the pins and my wife is very upset...

Unfortunately I have gone through earlier postings, discounted real steam and read any relating to DCC.  All very good.  I have not even reached the coupling up of the coaches stage - which I am now dreading!  I feel it wants to go but cant get up enough steam.  At a certain throttle I can hear the motor but there is no movement so I fear the worse...

Which decoder did you buy? When you mention cutting 2mm off of the pins it sounds like you bought the plug in type. For the Rocket you really need the 6 pin decoder with leads and I would go for the one made by Zimo MX617 that fits well and the barrel will shut. You have to wrap the lead around itself in the barrel. It is not unusual for the pins to be too long, I regularly cut off about 2mm to make them fit flush with the connector. As for the running, it should run ok, mine does and the one in Sams Trains did. It hasn't got much torque but it should have enough to pull the three carriages.

Or slipping on the shaft due to over oiling. Oil creeping under the gear wheel on the shaft if a press fit.

You did say you oiled it which shouldn't really be necessary on a brand new purchase virtually straight from the factory.

It sounds like a return to Hornby for them to fix it. The barrel being open, I doubt would make much difference to the weight. I bought a brand new set of wheels for an 0-6-0 loco that didn't mesh properly, I know it is not the Rocket but it does show that sometimes there are faults. It is still under guarantee and the Hornby service appears to be very good, so contact the Hornby Customer department for a return number and I am sure that they will fix it. Even if you "over oiled" it that shouldn't stop it from working unless it got onto wheels, long term perhaps it would create gear issues. It sounds from your description that it has never worked properly.