2021 TTS Decoders

ColinB

Anyone know if Hornby are adding any new TTS decoders to their range for 2021? I have searched the 2021 product data, but there is no mention. I haven't got to Tesco yet to pick up the new catalogue, to see what is listed in the new catalogue. So I wondered if someone has?

This is the new catalogue page Colin

Apart from the one new Class 60 loco at top of the page all the R-numbers listed are retro-fit kits.

No doubt that is a production wish list and may change over the year.

/media/tinymce_upload/ebfd5a0aac53d5a7a5fd02ad45722199.JPG

Thanks RAF96. I must admit I would have thought that they would have added extra ones for their new locos and dropped a few off the list (as they did with 2019 to 2020), although the "Hush Hush" might be a bit difficult The good news is hopefully they will replenish the ones in the list you currently can no longer get.

I have just checked with my 2020 catalogue, there appears to be 4 more. I am braving the virus today to go to Tesco for shopping so hopefully I will pick up a new catalogue.

I bought my new catalogue from Tescos. It appears that the DCC decoders are a merge of the 2019 ones and 2020 ones, whether they support the whole list we will have to wait and see. The other funny thing is in the new catalogue there are a few locos that Retailers were selling off last year cheap as they were out of date. One example is the class 87 "Winston Churchill", I got it about 30% off because it was end of range, but it is in the new catalogue.

I wonder if I might muscle in on this topic with a question of my own.

The two locomotives to which I wish to add TTS Sound Decoders are: Battle of Britain Class "Biggin Hill" and Schools Class "Haileybury" (both Hornby DCC Ready), but I see nothing in the catalogue or on the website that matches these locos. May I assume I'll have to compromise on the authentic sounds of these locos and use the closest decoder available? How would I know which ones would fit my locos?

Any and all help is appreciated, as always.

Unless your locos are what is termed TTS ready i.e with a socket and speaker mount in the tender, then the likelehood is you will have to either change the speaker for a cube type to mount in the loco or run extension wires into the tender and mount the standard speaker in there all of which will use modelling skills, which may or may not be within your capability - only you know that.

Merchant Navy would likely be a suitable alternative for the BoB class loco.

I think they did do a Schools class years ago, but not a current one. I do seriously wonder how many on that list they actually mean to support. The Britannia one is on the list but a Dealer has just mailed me to say Hornby are discontinuing it. So perhaps some of the items are as I call them, vapour ware.

I wonder if I might muscle in on this topic with a question of my own.

The two locomotives to which I wish to add TTS Sound Decoders are: Battle of Britain Class "Biggin Hill" and Schools Class "Haileybury" (both Hornby DCC Ready), but I see nothing in the catalogue or on the website that matches these locos. May I assume I'll have to compromise on the authentic sounds of these locos and use the closest decoder available? How would I know which ones would fit my locos?

Any and all help is appreciated, as always.

For the BoB, the closest would be Merchant Navy, which is basically a heavier loco of the same class.  Hornby do unrebuilt https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/tts-sound-decoder-merchant-navy.html and rebuilt https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/tts-sound-decoder-merchant-navy-rebuilt.html 

I have the unrebuilt in my West Country Class (basically same as BoB class).  It is probably my favourite TTS sound decoder with a large array of whistles and great sound for the small price. 

As for the Schools Class I would have guessed Castle or Hall (although they have 4 and 2 cylinders respectively, not 3 like Schools).  Both of these are great chips.  I have read that 3 cylinder A1/A3, A4 would match but horn/whistle sounds would be way off. Do you prefer accuracy with your whistles or your chuffs  😀. Jenny Kirk discusses this and chose an S15 chip and this video shows her fitting one.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znzmvZUGGpY&ab_channel=JenniferE.Kirk

On that note I am going to pass a quick judgement on the TTS chips I have.  I absolutely love Merchant Navy unrebuilt, King, Castle, Hall, P2, A1 Tornado, A3, Coronation and Black 5.  I do not love Crost 9F and A4.  Maybe early ones not so sharp.  I believe 9F was first, pre-fitted into a railroad Crosti?  What I hate about this is the whistle ending abruptly cutting off the echo.  Sounds awful.  A4 should have a better array of whistle/horns for such a popular loco.  By contrast Merchant Navy has loads, eg a wonderful "passing whistle" and "strange whistle", both of which are fantastic.  Why not make more effort with A4?  However I may be being too harsh as mine possibly soundsparticularly awful due to bad sepaker. 

Sorry if that's a veer off topic.  Anything to avoid doing my tax return.  IF ONLY Hornby products were tax deductable  🤔

• 1 month later...

As a side note as I only just noticed this update. With the B of B, I am assuming yours is the one where the decoder goes into the loco rather than the tender as with the later ones. Assuming that this is the unrebuilt one, this is one of the few locos that has lots of room for the decoder and sound although you will have to use a sugar cube speaker because of its better shape. The other big advantage is the valve gear is quite simple on these, so less chance of damaging it.