Discounted Duchess of Atholl

sx

Just for clarity of information.

You keep on saying £599.99 as being discounted, but have never stated your original 'offer' price. To me, £599.99 seems an 'inflated price' not a 'discounted' one. Was the original 'offer price' higher than £599.99 or are you using wrong terminology.

I am not aware of what the retailer may have been offering the DOA before I received the offer. I am just using the retailers terminology in the email that he sent me. ie "Discounted 2020 locomotives"

But you said in several replies that you 'paid full in advance' what my question was asking was 'how much did you pay in advance?' [the original Jadlam price you agreed to pay before they changed it to £599.99 ... this is what I meant by their original 'offer' price] and was it higher or lower than £599.99

I don't know, I am always a bit worried about this. With Rails, Hattons and Hornby when you pay, they take your Credit card details ready for when they want to collect the money at a later date, same with PayPal. Trouble is some Retailers sites are set up to take the money immediately. So effectively you pay for the model in full, which is bad news if you have to wait 3 years for it to be delivered. Others take a 50% deposit, again not nice especially like with one of my orders where it appears they didn't get a big enough allocation. I am now in the position of when I pre order a loco, not only do I have to check whether they are going to take the money immediately but also whether they will actually supply it. I hate having to do it, but I am at the point that if I really want the loco, I order it off Hornby directly and accept that it will be 10% more expensive.

Not necessarily Colin.

Hornby will only charge the price quoted at the time you place the order while most of the online retailers will charge the price at delivery. This can and will change between launch and release due to inflation and currency fluctuations. This can put the retailer price at the point of supply quite close to Hornby’s original catalogue price. And remember the Hornby RRP often goes up when the stock arrives.

Some time ago ther was an error on the Hornby site when the discontinued club discount reappeared for a few hours at 20% - they honouredthe price of goods ordered during that very small window of opportunity.

Thanks SteveM6, I didn't know that. I noticed that the Retailer in question that started all this is charging the maximum recomended retail for Oliver Cromwell. I know that has not gone up as I have just bought one from TMC with the normal 10% discount.

Rails are now asking for deposits on certain items exclusive to them and the NRM. The trouble is that we have far too many additions to the ranges every year. Someone will buy the DOA at the inflated price just to have it. TMC are doing a January sale with upto and over 25% discount on certain items. Well worth a look.

Swings and roundabouts Colin. It’s not going to work every time but if a new loco is a must-have with a limited issue, I would probably go for a full price pre-order from Hornby and hope that inflation creates a perceived saving when it’s released.

For less vital purchases (is there such a thing?) I’ll keep my eyes open for later ‘offers’.

SteveM6 I must admit that is the philosophy I am tending to adopt.I wanted a new type class 87 and yes I got it off TMC at 25% off. Yes, some of the Rails ones you do have to give them a deposit, it is only their own commissioned ones though, Dapol and Bachmann ones they don't ask for a deposit. 

But you said in several replies that you 'paid full in advance' what my question was asking was 'how much did you pay in advance?' [the original Jadlam price you agreed to pay before they changed it to £599.99 ... this is what I meant by their original 'offer' price] and was it higher or lower than £599.99

Sorry about that I paid in advance £224.99

atom3624 I wondered that as well whether one of their customers sold their one back to them. It is still not on. Now that all the Retailers sell Hornby new releases at the same price, the choice is which one you like when you place your order. So their stunt is not that good for future business. I used to like Rails as they had never let me down, but now if it is not Hornby then basically it is the one that does the best service.

What would be really good is to find out who did get this loco for the proper price and where they did their advance order, not including Hornby.

Thanks for that vital bit of information OP. It is now clear why you are rightly miffed with the vendor. If they have always had this available,  then this is truly despicable. However, that is a big if which probably cannot be proven one way or the other. Whether you enter a dialogue with them regarding this is up to you, but elevating this to Margate seems the best way forward here. 

Thanks for that vital bit of information OP. It is now clear why you are rightly miffed with the vendor. If they have always had this available,  then this is truly despicable. However, that is a big if which probably cannot be proven one way or the other. Whether you enter a dialogue with them regarding this is up to you, but elevating this to Margate seems the best way forward here. 

As they are also selling this item on ebay, I looked at their listing. One sold one in stock. So they have definately had at least 2 available. It is my opinion that they cancelled pre-order(s) in order to make extra profit.

@sx

Have you actually spoken to jadlam about this and had any feedback from them?

When they bumped the order I communicated with them but since then, No I haven't, but I have made an official complaint to Hornby.