dcc point operation

john_goodwin1

Hi All

Does anyone have dcc concepts ss above boardpoints and decoders as im considering them with my new layout. Unfortunately finding out that hornby point motors and decoders are not very reliable. 

Or are there other point dcc systems that are better to consider i.e. cost, reliability.

I also understand that you need to modify hornby and peco points to use dcc concepts, is that correct? If so is it easy to do as my points are already laid and can only do above board motors.

Many thanks in anticipation for any help with this

Hornby Elite and Select, Railmaster, Laptop being used going forward 

For the information of others "DCC Concepts Cobalt SS" is the product being queried.

I can't say I recall this specific DCC Concepts product being raised in any posts on this forum - good or bad.

In principle, DCC Concepts products can work well with Hornby Elite and RailMaster controllers, but there are also posts where forum members have raised issues with some DCC Concepts products. Particularly, the iP Digitals, but the ADS range [solenoid point motor Accessory Decoders] seem to be OK DCC wise, their only issue being excessive start up current draw for which 'workaround' posts exist on this forum. Not enough information on the forum regarding SS product to offer an opinion.

I also understand that you need to modify Hornby and PECO points to use DCC Concepts, is that correct?

No.

I suppose it really depends upon the context of where you read that statement. In principle, point modification is not required. Certainly not Hornby ones. PECO point modification is usually only required when using PECO Electrofrogs where you want to implement FULL frog power switching, but even that is optional. DCC Concepts include integral switching contacts to support the PECO Electrofrog power switching feature. I suspect, that feature is what you have been reading. This feature is not applicable to Hornby points as Hornby do not make or sell Electrofrog points.