Hornby Coach cosmetic defects?

LNER_Scottie83

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post. I’ve purchased a bunch of pre-owned R4180, R4181 etc EX LNER blood/Carmine and cream coaches pre-owned...12 in total, and I’ve noticed that 5 of them have Pits or small dents to the panels. They are usually found on only one side of the coach, and 7 of them do not have this phenomenon. The coaches are all in a mint condition other than this cosmetic issue and we’re sold as such

Does anybody know if this is an is a known manufacturing issue or have I been duped with the “mint” condition tag.

Thank you.

forum_image_6037d3d528a94.thumb.png.855f5ca9c9ce6b53073f3f959aeefef8.pngforum_image_6037d3f3ad79e.thumb.png.72b24992bfa3af9deaf5ec5808fad3db.png

The term mint comes from the coin collecting community where a mint coin is just that, pristine as it was when it left the mint. They have strict definitions of other condition states from mint through excellent and good to poor, etc.

Unfortunately eBayers use Mint to describe anything that is quite good, and their definition of good can mean any old tat. Until such descriptions are legislated for on these sites then your definition of mint may not be Jack-the-Lad’s version.

With regard to your purchase it may have been a mould problem or a long term packaging induced problem. I am not skilled enough to tell for sure but they look like mould defects to me.

That is weird, looking at the photos it looks like they may well have been like that from new as the paint has not cracked, perhaps they were ones that didn't pass QA. I agree with 96RAF (I am sure that was RAF96 before the update) there is a lot of stuff on EBay that is advertised as "New" or "mint" when it is not. One example was a Hornby class 50, I was thinking of buying, advertised as new. When I asked if it had been tested, I was told by the Seller that she found it in their loft when they bought the house, it had all the labels etc. so she assumed it was new. She knew nothing about model trains and just put it up for sale.

I know it is not the right attitude and I too get carried away with the detail, but when it comes to it if the price was right would you notice it that much when they are running around the layout. If I had paid full price for them then a big issue, but it you got them at a decent price then not so much of a problem.

The marking dimples are caused when the plastic is being shaped. You will see it every now and again on most makers models. It is not common but seems to evade the lax Chinese factories as OK. Behind that dimple there is likely to be another pieces of moulding as a support.

Hi guys, thank you for the replies. Tbh I got them cheap for fully packaged with boxes in good condition. A rake of 12 including two first class, five 3rd class, one buffet, two sleepers and two brakes for for about £11 each, which I think is excellent value.

I had suspected they had come from the factory this way, wondered if anyone had come across such issues before as even tho limited in experience, I haven’t. Obviously on a certain auction site these things can be omitted, but I’d more than likely still of purchase them at that price anyway!!

• 3 weeks later...

We play ball games Wobbly but we also have a serious vandalism problem in UK.

Kids seem to think it fun to trash coaches on our Heritage Railways. Breaking windows, spray painting, etc. Apart from destroying hard to replace parts this undoes the hard work put in by volunteers to restore these vehicles.

Our local tourist railway, despite having gated security fencing around the main station area and a huge coach shed has instituted additional security patrols.

Sad times.

I think it adds quite a realistic effect in some ways!!

Perhaps the sidings were near a local cricket pitch or golf course!!

Ebay definitions - bone of contention for many.

I just received one locomotive - perfect condition admittedly and half the new price - said to be NEW, but which had had the brake rigging fitted to loco and tender!

100% happy with it, but the description's obviously incorrect hence why it's important to refer to the descriptions and photos, and ask for more where able, then decide if you wish to proceed - your decision.

Al.