Power connection [planned DCC layout]

Andrew-818747

First time on forum, so hello and thank you in anticipation.

I am looking to build my first layout in 40 years and am looking to use a dcc system on the layout numbered 13/14 in the Hornby Track plans edition 14.

Can anyone advise where the best place(s) is/are to put the power connections on the track.

Probably obvious to you guys but as a novice, I just want to get it right.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Andy

Anywhere you like.

In DCC the whole track is live all the time and would not normally be built with any isolated sections.

If Hornby track, then R8232 Hornby Point DCC clips are fitted to all the points to circumvent the self isolating nature of the Hornby point.

I'm not familiar with the 13/14 plan in the edition 14 book, but if it is a complicated plan [for example like the Hornby Large Corner Plan]. Then there may be 'Reverse Loops' designed into the plan. Reverse loops create an instant 'short circuit'. If your proposed plan does indeed include 'reverse loops' then you will need some additional targeted support from the forum to give appropriate advice.

The green box shows one of the clips fitted. The blue box shows where the one being held in the fingers should be placed.

forum_image_603aaaf2e552d.png.58b1383f734fe953a6800c3ac7c49ef9.png

PS - Also make sure that you use Digital DCC Compatible track power connecting products such as R8241 or R8242.

If you use the DC Analogue versions [R8206 or R602] then you can distort and corrupt the Digital DCC signals and may experience operational DCC difficulties.

Track Plan 13/14 features the Hornby Turntable which will need modifying for DCC operation. As the turntable itself is connected to the main layout by two tracks, you also have a potential reverse loop issue to solve as well.

As it is a large layout you should look at a DCC bus with droppers onto the bus from multiple locations for reliability (you also avoid overheating the R8232 point clips by adding droppers)

As that layout is split level I strongly recommend doing some incline tests with multiple locos, hauling reasonable length trains up the ramps. The incline bottom left can actually be extended around the curve at the bottom to change the gradient. However the incline top middle is restricted in length by other track elements so might be too steep.

This central incline also features two curved points located near the top of the incline (not fully level) and as curved points can be tricky on the flat, they might pose a problem for potential derailments. (so this may need thorough testing also)

Finally make sure you can reach all sections of track so that you can pick up items that have derailed. If you can't walk all the way around that layout this could give you issues. You also need to get hands inside tunnels (which may need the ability to get underneath and reach through a hole. )

All in all this is a very complicated layout - but has elements that could work well.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you can run the RailMaster software on W10 professional........regarding point clips, these can be avoided by using Bachmann DCC points or Peco Unifrog, both are pre-wired specifically for DCC layouts........check the makers' blurb for detail.......HB

I can't give you any Bachmann part numbers, but I can for PECO.

Hornby track geometry is replicated in PECO products only when using the PECO ST range. PECO SL track products use a completely different geometry to Hornby, therefore there is no accurate equivalent comparison table that can be given between Hornby and PECO SL products.

forum_image_605e1e33654a6.png.b4444ec531d87554a680b20117703390.png

Note that the PECO ST Range are also 'Insulfrog' 'self isolating' points just like Hornby's and are not natively DCC friendly. For DCC friendly points you need the Bachmann brand or PECO SL track products that as previously stated are not the same geometry to Hornby. The PECO ST points are not the Unifrog variety suggested by Howbiman. PECO Unifrog points are from the PECO SL Range.

More detail on PECO SL Unifrog products are here [marketed as HO scale] and are Code 83 rail.

unifrog ho - PECO

The Bachmann DCC friendly points are known as 'Non-Isolating', cat nos

Left hand 36-872, Right hand 36-873......they match the Hornby standard point in size.

It is worth noting that these points still have a dead frog so will not negate the problem of short wheelbase locos potentially stalling whilst crossing but they do eliminate the need for 'point clips'

Unfortunately the Peco Unifrog points are not yet available in the standard code 100 size.