DC supply using a decoder.

ColinB

I don't know if this is any use to anyone. I am always fixing locos or converting them to dcc, so although I run DCC, I need access to a DC supply. Normally this means going to my Pendolino set and using the power supply that came with it. This means unplugging my DCC controller, plugging the DC supply in and rewiring my metre of track to the new controller. I suddenly came up with an idea, rather than all that messing around why not use one of my old decoders. I also had a 8 bin dcc pcb that is too big for most locos, so I wired pins 1 and 5 to the track and 4 and 8 to dcc controller. It works a treat. The other thing is, because it is an 8 pin socket I can test whether the decoder I am eventually going to use, works with the said loco while it is still set at dc. Obviously, the DC current is limited to that of the decoder, but a much easier solution for me.

The principle of using a decoder connected to track has come up a couple of times. Your 'pre-fitting' loco testing suggestion is a new slant on the idea though.

Thats basically how the new HM | DC app based analogue system works.

Each HM6000 BLE module listens to the app on two (decoder) channels and applies incremental 0-12v to the associated track loop. Two loops per module, four modules per app hence control of up to eight loops.

Ditto up to three HM6010 modules for control of up to twelve accessories, like so.enoids, signal lamps, station lights or motor driven like a turntable.

The principle of using a decoder connected to track has come up a couple of times. Your 'pre-fitting' loco testing suggestion is a new slant on the idea though.

Indeed, my narrow gauge lines all have a DCC chip direct to the track thus none of my OO9 locos have to be chipped. It's handy as I can control the 'dcc track' from my main controller without having to faff fitting decoders in tiny locos, plus my non dcc locos can run on the DC shuttle section.