Ex LMS 2-6-4 tank valve gear fitting

Traincliff

Hi again everybody

Another attempt at my earlier and invisible now query. On both the Fowler and Stanier 2-6-4Ts (China built) the slide bars on the valve assembly are held in place by the cylinder at one end and a plastic bracket at the other. The base of the bracket sits in a shallow pocket on the side of the chassis but is not firmly held in place until the steel plate with the valve gear components has been fastened in place. My query is this - should the plastic bracket be glued in place in its pocket prior to the remaining valve gear being fitted. Mine was but both brackets had fractured. Pending arrival of replacement parts I have dug out the very firm glue. The engine I am restoring was bought as a non runner so I don't know if the glue is original. My own thought is that the brackets should probably not be firmly attached allowing a certain amount of flexibility in the fairly intricate mechanism but I hope somebody in this forum may know for sure.

All advice will be much appreciated.

Cliff

This new post was again rejected as having banned words. I have have had to use the word "fastened" instead of the more common word used referring to the device used to fasten. Post was then accepted. Have to say I find this attitude rather pathetic. After all we don't refer to the implement used as a fastenerdriver!

Thank you Going Spare I am glad it is not just me on both counts. My intuition is the same but I did not know if there was a hidden quirk with these locos. The loco I have came in knowledge of a stripped or broken drive gear, a common and easily fixed problem on these locos. Inspection revealed the valve gear not located properly on both sides and I think this probably caused the fracture of the double gear in the gear train when it locked up. Each time I relocated the valve gear it dropped out again and the fractured brackets were revealed. The brackets are not shown on the service sheet as a separate item so I am hoping when the new valve gear arrives that they are included.

Waffling on sorry! Anyway thanks for reassurance of your view

Cliff

I can confirm that the word concerned and it's plural variants has been requested 'this morning' to be excluded from the profanity filter.

Along with a further 48 words that are innocent when used in a model & real railway context.

For example a word that begins with d and ends in y and rhymes with flirty.

The time scale for the profanity banned words filter to actually be updated is unknown at the present time. As only submitted this morning by the mods, it requires 'developer' input to implement so it will be in a long queue.

Wow Chris! I find it incredible that a British company gets itself in such a silly position. How can we talk about weathering without making a loco rhyme with flirty lol. I do know another word for grimy but that could be just as bad in the filter's view.

I presume the filter only affects this forum and not Hornby's internal IT systems. I can't see someone like Mr Simon Kohler putting up with vocabulary restrictions like this lol!

I can confirm, that the 49 words the mods submitted to Hornby admin this morning for removal from the filter have all been accepted for removal by Hornby and submitted to the developers to action.

Out of curiosity, if you can give me a rhyming clue for the 'grimy' alternative I can look it up in the current filter list the mods were given access to, to see if it is listed. And if so, was it one of the words submitted for removal.

Hi Chris. Yes it rhymes with tilth! Could also have a y added. Just as "bad" as flirt and flirty in my view. Have you also considered cylinder ....... which rhymes with box. During my engineering training more than 50 years ago now there were various terms which could have other meanings of a more dubious nature. One that comes to mind is the term used for threads (of fasteners or bolts) that did not conform to standard as being a term used for illegitimate sizes beginning with b and ending in d. Also occasionally used regarding bolt head sizes. Also gender terms used for inside and outside pipe threads.

Another would be the turning over of the first piece of soil when a railway is built.

Just some thoughts for you to check the list for. Will let you know if others come to mind.

"box" & "box(s)" rhyme is to be excluded also ... due to drain "box" and "box" of the North

filth and filthy and sod were never in it [as you can see they posted OK].