DCC point motors

gazzabj

I am building a layout (Hornby Elite DCC) and wish to add point motors. I understand I need a Hornby Accessory module but I am not sure which point motors would work with this.

The ones I am interested in are Guagemaster Seep solenoid type point

motor as these look compact and it appears you can mount them underneath the board without any additional brackets?

Would these be compatible with the Hornby Accessory module and would I need anything else to wire them up?

I am still a beginner,

so please be as descriptive as you can.

Many thanks
Gary

You don't need an accessory module to operate point motors. You can still use the analogue method with passing contact switches or electric pencils etc.
Stevevcamden, quite a few people have reported problems with the surface mounted point motors. They

need to be installed exactly as in the instructions if they are to work properly.

I've got both types - Hornby surface mount and Mk2 solenoid and yes they all need care in installing to work well. I even have a pair consisting on one of each type firing from a single port of a Hornby acc decoder - these did need care to ensure free

moving points mechanisms.
The OP asked if Seep underfloor solenoid motors could be used with Hornby accessory decoders - the answer is YES, just check the wiring colour codes to ensure correct connection to the acc decoder.
Working points via DCC can

be onerous from the command station (Elite) and as poliss says they can be operated anologue style instead or by using relays operated by analogue and/or DCC.
Rob

I got the impression that the OP thought you had to have an accessory decoder if you were using a DCC controller. A bit of clarification would be helpful.
I wouldn't use accessory decoders unless I was controlling points from a PC.

Many many thanks for all the responses. Excellent advice.

I do plan to go to Railmaster eventually, so I will be using an Accessory decoder to control the points. I just wanted to clarify that the Seep underboard motors are compatible and now I

have my answer.

Once again thanks to everyone that replied.

Gary

Hi Gary

I use Seep Motors PM1
they are as reliable as any other and not so difficalt to fit as some
take up less room than those that clip to the point

The PM1 has a second contact for operating ( live frog/signals etc )
you can

use them with manual systems and with the Elite
but the elite is a bit awkward with so many button presses
I use Railmaster at the moment
but i also used Big Bear and JMIR
all work well with the Elite and Hornby Decoders (points)
I have a mixture

of Hornby/Peco points

never had a problems

Rgds
Mike

Thats perfect, I shall be going down that route for definate now.

Thanks for your info Mike.

Gary

I've used both hornby point motors and to be honest i prefer the small surface ones once its installed i find it works flawlessly also have two point motors switching from one accessory decoder position no problem these being the larger type

Archived