DCC beginner problems right from the off!

brad9753

Hi all, I posted a topic a couple of days ago asking for help about putting the decoder into a dcc ready train. Well I have done it, and I tried it out on my small temporary track and it didn't seem to want to work. As instructed by the manuel I put the

decoder in, with the orange wire going to point one. I also made sure the purple loose wire was not in contact with anything else.
I have the Hornby Select controller and I put this onto the track (although it did say in the instructions that the white

wire and the black wire connecting the box and the track went into specific holes, but both cables that were in the box were black (and joined).
I then pressed select for 2 seconds, with just the pendolino on the track to set it as number 1. I then pressed

select as instructed and waited for the red light to flash 7/8 times, but it only flashed 4 times. When this happened the lights on the train do begin to flash and there is a slight noise, but that is it. Selecting number 1 then causes no movement, nor does

changing direction change the colour of the lights on the train.
As a side question, does the track have to be in a loop or can it just be one small strait (I tried both- one strait being easier) for both analogue and digital? It's just that when I tried

the train the very first time it was on a small strait (no decoder) and it didn't work either, but I assumed that it had to be in a loop and space wouldn't allow at the time.
Thank you very much in advance,

Brad

It doesn't matter about the lead colours, so you haven't done anything wrong there.
It's best to test locos on the default address of 3 before reprogramming.
Did the display flash LA when you pressed Select? Try it on the default address of 03.
On

the small straight, did you use the Select to test the loco before you fitted a decoder? You shouldn't do that. If you used an analogue controller and the loco didn't move then it's highly likely that there is a fault in the loco and you should return it to

the shop.
No, you don't need a loop of track for DCC. Using a piece of straight to programme locos is fine.

Hi, thanks for the reply. OK I will try it on the default of 3 next time. The display did flash LA when I pressed select yes (and then flashed just 4 times). And no I didn't use the select to test the train without the decoder so that is fine. I will re

test it on analogue then first on a strait. I noticed that the front set of wheels are still unlike the others though that are lose and turn easily, is this normal? I hope it isn't the loco but maybe you are right..

Just tried again. Tried my flying scotsman first on the analogue. Worked fine. I then put the pendolino on the same track and it wouldn't move. Lights came on, dimmed and brightened as I turned the dial, if I changed the direction the lights would change

depending on the direction it (should be) going in but didn't move. The white light on the top does flicker a bit but know know if that is normal. Have no idea why it will not move though. I took the shell off, saw a wire at the back not connected to anything

and don't know if that is normal either.
Thing is the set is from an individual seller on ebay, good feedback etc, my only option is to return it but don't want to if it is a relatively simple explanation.

Looks to me like Poliss is right on the money here. Two of the four wires should be connected to the wipers (contacts with the wheels to pick up the electricity). They are usually just connectors you could push on or pull off). The other two should be

soldered to either terminal on the motor. As your hanging wire does not have a connector on it it's probably come off a motor terminal, empty silver blob as poliss described.

If you're not handy soldering I'd take it to a model store where they could

probably fix for less than it would cost to send back to the seller, maybe even for free, great way to get a life long customer!

Yes last night I was playing around with it and saw a blob of silver and guessed something is supposed to be soldered to that so I connected the wire to it breifly as if it was connected and it worked, so problem solved I think.
On the soldering front,

I haven't done it for a few years not since my electronics GCSE's at school. Do have an iron somewhere though. Any specific tips on that?
Anyway thank you everyone for the help!

Let the iron get up to full temperature before soldering. You may or may not need new solder. If it doesn't take hold, then get some desoldering braid, remove the old solder and resolder with new flux cored solder. Seperate flux is not usually necessary.

Hi all again. I just soldered the wire, and the train now moves away, changes directions, lights change etc, but has lead to a new couple of problems. The loco moves smoothly but there is a semi loud buzzing noise from the powered one at the front of it.

So I looked on youtube at the same train set and there is no buzzing to assumed this is not meant to be. I soldered and re soldered a few times in different positions to make sure it wasn't my dodgy soldering and each time the buzzing is still annoyingly present.

This is on a non DCC track by the way, with no decoder.
Anyway, with the buzzing unsorted, I fitted the decoder again, orange wire in hole 1 like last time. Last time the loco, when pressing select, selecting the number and pressing select again, the train

made noises and its lights flashed, but the light on the unit only flashed 4 times, as apposed to the desired 7. This time however, the train lights and engine never reacted at all, and the light on the unit flashed 8 times (in the instructions it then tells

you to re program, I did with no luck).
Thanks again in advance (and for the previous help).

Archived