wires used on sapphire decoder

jbcontrol

Rog's link made clickable.

Digital Sapphire Locomotive Decoder with 8/21 Pin Adaptor-Hornby-R8245

As Rog says the wires you can see in the link image are not soldered directly to the decoder. The decoder is natively a 21 pin decoder with a female header into which a male pin plug adapter cable is plugged to convert to 8 pin male pin NEM 652.

The adapter cable is wired like this:

forum_image_6042b13a5caa9.png.26b73c32819b247466afaacefd4dd9d6.png

Thanks for the quick replies. It seems that I have been cheated by someone as this decoder with some wires on is obviously not a Sapphire.

Although upon further inspection maybe it is a Sapphire and someone had tried to solder wires on it.

Is there a part number for a decoder harness and would it be out of production like the Sapphire.

Thank you all very much

JB

further to my last reply i have worked out that the wires were missing from the harness so have removed that part that was left on the decoder, then tested the decoder, which is unreadable even after telling the tester which decoder it is. so i have found out a lot by being on this forum and lost a decoder.

thanks again to all JB

Just for completeness of information. Hornby never sold the Sapphire harness on its own under a separate part number as an item available directly from Hornby.

Sapphire ID in CV7 (or is it CV8) should be 10 if and when you can read it.

It may well be an old ESU sound decoder fitted by Hornby to early factory sound locos.

Although out of stock her is a source of the Sapphire adapter harness.

https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/product/21-pin-to-8-pin-decoder-adaptor-board-wired-dcc-harness-with-nem652-8-pin-plug-sapphire/