Right to Repair Law, due to come into force in summer.

Model railways tend to be classified as toys and games for tax, revenue duty purposes and regulatory with respect to manufacture, materials, safety, etc so I doubt they will fall into a classification affected by the new law.

The law must be in draft with a discussion document such that manufacturers can see what they are being made to do so if you can get sight of that it would likely tell you, although I believe motor manufacturers and most white goods providers already comply with the proposed regulation, possibly voluntary at present.

When I saw the headline that was my immediate thought. It is about time someone put a rocket under their spares situation. You can forgive them not carrying certain spares, but the things that regularly fall off or get damaged buffers, couplings, motors, pickups they regularly don't have spares for.

In view of the prices our toys now cost to buy it should apply.

Many spares could be 3D printed or small batch moulded here in the UK. If it did apply it may also result in making Hornby and others in using home repairable motors rather than the current policy of multiple types of non repairable disposable ones.

Home repairable motors relies upon such a beast being available on the market at an economic price.

In my slot car days Monogram cars were supplied with a user serviceable motor, brushes, springs, etc all of which were easily available. Such motors are still available but at a unit cost much higher than some^ of the Hornby motors,

... ^ I say some because others are over £20 due to being supplied with worm gear(s) and/or flywheel(s).

What I would welcome is a return to the X03/4 days where there was a standard motor which was user serviceable.

I don't have an issue with difficulty obtaining spares for locos over 10 years old. It amazes me every time I mail Bachmann for spares for my old split chassis locos, that they still carry them. The issue is with Hornby that they don't carry spares for their current models. They still make class 50 locos, but they have been out of stock of buffers for at least the last 6 months, I could quote very many other examples like couplings. If they don't want to make them then "outsource" it to the likes of "Peters Spares". If there is a market for them then they will get made. That is how it works in the Classic car and bike markets. Lets face it the current price of a Hornby loco is more than many "white goods".

This law may expand further to other industries yet.

Currently it is concentrating on white goods items as there are many manufacturers who make their machines too cheap to repair and have hardly any parts or maintenance after support (you know the ones where their only advise is send it back in the original box and we will send you a new machine). Next sector to be looked into will be the industry I work in which is garden machinery as there are companies from China selling very cheap machinery to supermarkets and large DIY and garden centre chains with little or no parts back up or support for maintenance or repair because they know that if they break any repair labour cost would render them scrap so the customer wouldn't bother to repair but throw away and replace.

Model railways are really classed as toys so they would be last on the list but I think Hornby should look into providing a wider range of spare parts for the latest models and previous models. The one thing I struggle to find spares wise with Hornby are detailing items like smoke box darts or handrails and have to look for these through companies who make the brass detailing parts. I know other manufacturers do have these detailing items listed in their parts lists as parts.

I doubt many people are able to repair household appliances themselves and even if parts were available for longer there is still the labour costs associated with such repairs.

I have actually not had a problem getting oven spares over the last ten years - impeller and element - and also manage most of of plumbing, electrical and car requirements. Got a Nakamichi amplifier to have a go at next!