R8216 Points Decoder

Thakey

Can anyone help please.

I need to clear the previous addresses in an R8216 points decoder which was originally programmed via a Select unit. I have tried reprogramming it using the Select unit but it won't clear the old addresses and accept the new addresses. The Select unit flashes red only 2 and a bit times when trying to reprogramme. This doesn't seem enough to me for some reason or other. If this can't be done with a Select unit could it be done via a PC in which case can someone please send me the wiring diagram.

........could it be done via a PC in which case can someone please send me the wiring diagram.

You cannot connect the R8216 directly to a PC. The input to the R8216 is a DCC protocol. In order to connect the R8216 to a PC you would have to go via a DCC controller [eLink / Elite] or programmer [sPROG].

The eLink / Elite option would then need Hornby RailMaster software. The third party SPROG programmer would use JMRI DecoderPRO.

The R8216 is obsolete [replaced by R8247] and has multiple issues with it, hence why it was replaced with an updated R8247 model. For one thing you cannot read any CVs on the R8216. To reset it to factory specifications would require you to write a value of 8 to CV8 using DCC commands from DCC software. Well that is at least the way you would factory reset a R8247. I'm not even 100% sure that writing 8 to CV8 is actually supported on a R8216.

To write 8 to CV8 using a Select, your Select would need to be upgraded by Hornby to Firmware version 1.6.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs up to CV255. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

R8213 Select DCC Controller – Hornby Support

and here

R8213 Select DCC Controller - Version 1.6 and 2.0 addendum – Hornby Support

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

The R8216 can be reset as Chris says by writing value 8 to CV8 but this will set the port addresses back to 1-4, which is no good if you want to operate points from the Select.

R8216 usually requires pre-charging before it will accept any programming. Connect it to your Select Track output for a few minutes to allow the internal capacitors to fill before trying to re-address it.

However if you are still operating it with a Select then you need to address it within the range 61-99.

Also R8216 is best programmed in REG mode and even if your Select is updated it cannot program in this mode.

I was glad when my sole ancient R8216 failed and I could bin it.

To cut to the chase go to the last page of the ref’d topic in Ducky's post below...