Fitting TTS to OLD loco

jbcontrol

I have fitted a TTS decoder to an OLD Flying Scotsman. the R850/5 body is a Hornby railways built in Britain. The motor was an old X04 or X.500. Also while trying to fit the decoder into the body the front round panel fell out.

I have fitted an 8 pin socket with the 4 main wires connected as a motor drive it is good, but I do not have any sound. I have selected items and ticked of the same 4 functions as my new R3663tts BR peppercorn. These functions show up on my throttle control but nothing happens

Do I need more wiring??

I am also unable to test the operation of functions on my Peppercorn, I try but nothing happens when on my program track! any help or suggestions very much appreciated

john

Running RailMaster pro with eLink via lap top.

Concentrating on your FS, service sheet number is 76 and the motor an X04 Mk IV sheet no 51.

Conversion is simple (fully covered by SoT in a separate thread) and consists of adding an insulating sleeve to the 2nd side of the spring holding the brushes and connecting the brushes to orange and grey (via clips) and red and black to pickups and chassis.

However, X04 current draw often exceeds what a TTS can handle. Did you do a DC stall current test prior to fitting to confirm? Google Brian Lambert and check for this in his DCC pages if not.

The decoder operating near current limits may explain the lack of sound. However, given you are also having Peppercorn problems, I’ll leave someone like Chris to give you chapter and verse on correct setup. For a start, sound will not operate on the programming track, only on the main track output.

i am sorry but i have misled you all. i only described the loco to try and prove (find ) the age of the loco. I have actually made my own modification and fitted a motor that looks very much like an x8202. i have actually fitted the same sort of motor to other old locos and all work well on DC.

secondly my peppercorn sounds work ok on the main but i thought that i could test them on the program track.

sorry Chris i meant NOT working but i have used another decoder which is working and i have also tried 2 speakers on the troublesome decoder and neither give sound but both ok on the later decoder so that is why i said that the sound is not working on the troublesome decoder,

john

I was thrown by the beginning bit that said "All sorted now, thanks" those words infer 100% working in all respects. Hence the comment.

Sound failure on TTS decoders is an extremely common occurrence. Either the speaker itself or the amplifier stage on the decoder. One or the other seem to be common failures.