Hornby R8249 decoder & R2763 Loco

grumpy old man

Hi
I have just fitted an R8249 decoder to a Hornby R2763 loco it runs great both forward & reverse but I cannot alter the direction movement to fit in with my controller ie it runs forward when my controller button is pressed for reverse & visa versa.

I have tried to alter the direction using both my elite & select & following the instruction manual both without success. Any help would be appreciated. Also why is the purple wire on the decoder loose & what is it for also do I have to cover the end of the

purple wire with tape.
Hope you can give me any advice
Thanx

You should be able to alter the normal direction by following the instructions in the user manuals. See page 12 of the Select manual or page 23 of the Elite manual.

The purple wire is the fourth function output wire and as the decoder only has an

8 pin plug but 9 wires it is left loose and can be cut off or insulated to prevent short circuits

Your Select might have a newer version of firmware. HCC posted this a while ago.

"Changes to “default direction” switching
Earlier versions of the Select allowed for the decoder to have the pre-set direction (default) changed by holding down

one of the “Direction Arrow” keys for more than 3 seconds. However, it was possible to make accidental changes to the Decoder’s Default Direction when holding down a “Direction Arrow” key for too long when attempting to change a loco’s running direction. In

Select version 1.2 the Decoder Default Direction is now set with a two key operation. This is now achieved by pressing and holding the “0” and one of the Direction Arrow buttons at the same time for 3 seconds."

Archived