STRANGE LIVERIES

LCDR

Yes looked ghastly but it did run like that. For Duchesses and Royal Scots that ran on the Southern during the 1948 exchanges they attached some WD 8 wheel tenders

to counteract the lack of water troughs, equally strange!

Hi, ive been ito railways for ages, however water troughs are new to me, i think i get the idea of them, however can someone explain so i know! Its probably simple which i will regret, and feel silly asking!
P

Not a silly question, and never be afraid to ask.

Water troughs (track pans in the USA) are long troughs filled with water placed between the rails on a straight and level section of line. These are fed from a line side water tower. As a steam train

passes over them the fireman can lower a scoop fitted in the tender, and the forward motion of the train forces water up the scoop and into the water tank. This allows trains to refil the tender with water on a long journey without having to stop. The LMSR,

LNER and GWR all had them and they were quite spectacular when in use because if the fireman left the scoop in too long there would be a cascade of water all over the first coach! The Southern did not have them, hence the need for special tenders for visiting

locomotives.

When diesels were first introduced the train heating was still steam and diesels had an oil fired boiler and were fitted with scoops too so they could pick up water for train heating. Certain large tank engines got fitted with scoops too,

but the number of classes of tank engine so fitted was very small.

You can tell which locomotives were fitted with scoops because on the back of the top of a tender there will be a dome, usually just in front of the water filler hatch. There will be

vents somewhere too, usually looking like tall thin mushrooms.

There are no water troughs now.

If

you put "bushey troughs" into Google you will find some pictures of water troughs

On the Mid-Hants on Thomas weekends most of the locos have a face painted on a mounting which is hung from the top lamp iron. The sad thing about 31874 is that the entire loco is painted Red which obviously means it cannot readily be changed. What makes

it even worse is that 31874 is the only example of her class to have survived - if they must have a Red loco why not do one of the U class, they have 2 of them!!

Archived