Firebox Flicker controlled by DCC

jimbob1707822369

Well looking on the web if you are referring to R2447, Princess Arthur of Connaught, this looks to be I doubt it has it. The newer version of this type of loco has it on all the time as the DCC decoder is in the tender, so it is either derived from the motor feed or the pickups. On your one if I am right, the DCC decoder is in the loco so if you want to add firebox flicker you can add a flickering LED to the smokebox and either use the F1 wire or use two diodes off the front and rear light pins.

If firebox glow is fitted then the instructions with the loco will explain how it works. If by way of DCC then in RM it will be allocated an F-key just like any other feature and can be operated manually by button presses or from a program by timed command.

You set up the allocated F-key when you roster the loco in RM.

Some info may be posted on the associated product page if you know the correct R-number.

Does the 00 gauge Prince Arthur of Connaught have a firebox flicker as standard?

Such features, if operated by DCC, would likely only be found in Hornby locos with factory installed decoders. In most locos that are 'DCC Ready', features such as firebox flicker would be left to the 'user' to install as part of fitting their chosen decoder brand and model.

As Rob says, a DCC controlled 'firebox flickering LED' is no different from any other DCC function. Subject to how the firebox LED is wired to the decoder, a function F number will be assigned. Any controller compatible with function commands [RailMaster included] can be used to switch the function on & off. There is nothing special in that.

Some decoders have the facility to turn a standard LED into a flickering one. In that scenario, then the flickering firebox will only be factory fitted if a suitable decoder is also fitted at the factory. The only decoders that are currently fitted at the Hornby factory are TTS sound decoders and TTS decoders do not have an integrated LED flickering circuit built in. They can power a standard LED, but they can't convert in circuitry a standard LED into a flickering one. Note that a standard LED can be purchased where the LED itself flickers when powered, without any external circuit required to do the flickering.

I recently purchased R3711 Princess Marie Louise which is fitted with a permanently on firebox flicker. It is not controlled by the decoder. As a temporary measure I have wired an X9659 4 pin to an 8 pin plug and the loco runs very well, with the f/b flicker.........HB