Airfield help

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi William and welcome to the forum.

For basic scenery and ground effects try asking model railway guys, they've been doing it for years. Kenneth does say Airfix did a basic WW2 RAF control tower but good luck in trying to find one; again try the model railroad guy, they might even know of some cardboard cut-out ones for a control tower and or hangers, although the scale might be a little small at 1/76 as opposed to 1/72 but a touch of false perspective could help hiding and differences.

Good luck and hope to see some results of your finished diorama.

Remember we do this for fun John the Pom

• 1 month later...

I am about to start building an English airbase. My models would look so much better photographed with a decent background. I have been buying assorted vehicles and I think they would look much better in context. My photos are pretty dull otherwise...forum_image_6207b41a27a97.png.8c10bfc03dbdb2896ade1acbedaca487.png

These little cars go well with my Airfix bomber supply sets !! I would like to see Airfix make more airfield sets at some point. an RAF ambulance is missing from my collection although I do have an English army ambulance. I assume the RAF ambulances were the tilly ?

Randy

You need to re-roll paint schemes from those shown in the kits (particularly the blue grey and blue grey and yellow in the recovery and refuelling sets are post-WW2) but the vehicles in the recovery, refuelling and emergency sets are all plausible.

I have not used the blue /yellow. I was directed to another airfix forum a while back and painted the vehicles like the emergency set , the refueling set in what was agreed to be the correct colors. I did discover that I don't seem to have an RAF ambulance, I have the ambulance from the emergency set which is possibly the British army ambulance. I have seen the Army ambulance in films around US airbases but not RAF bases. I assume the Tilly was modified as an RAF ambulance but I have not found any decals or models of the Tilly in RAF ambulance configuration.

Randy

At the outbreak of war the Albion was the standard heavy aerodrome ambulance- hundreds had been stockpiled at Kidbrooke and Cardington commencing 1937. The little Morris and Standard 12hp were the domestic types. In 1941 the Albion was supplemented by the Fordson WOT1 with 2 body styles.

At the outbreak of war the Albion was the standard heavy aerodrome ambulance- hundreds had been stockpiled at Kidbrooke and Cardington commencing 1937. The little Morris and Standard 12hp were the domestic types. In 1941 the Albion was supplemented by the Fordson WOT1 with 2 body styles.

Is it safe to assume that none of these are available in 1/72 scale?

Randy

Sadly, there are no kits of much RAF 1930s ground support equipment.

I kitbashed an Airfix Tilly, using drawings in the ancient Airfix Modelling RAF Vehicles guide from the 1970s. It’s since had Red Cross transfers applied.

https://flic.kr/p/264Zbhx

I also created a basic model of the Crossley IGL6 crash tender, from odd kit parts for a Crossley GS truck, bits of Airfix and odds from the Bits Box. It turned out okay, I think.

https://flic.kr/p/264Zc9n

I don’t know if those links will resolve to actual images. If not, you’ll have to click through. Sorry. Why isn’t there a way to embed or hotlink to images on this forum?

Sadly, there are no kits of much RAF 1930s ground support equipment.

I kitbashed an Airfix Tilly, using drawings in the ancient Airfix Modelling RAF Vehicles guide from the 1970s. It’s since had Red Cross transfers applied.

https://flic.kr/p/264Zbhx

I also created a basic model of the Crossley IGL6 crash tender, from odd kit parts for a Crossley GS truck, bits of Airfix and odds from the Bits Box. It turned out okay, I think.

https://flic.kr/p/264Zc9n

I don’t know if those links will resolve to actual images. If not, you’ll have to click through. Sorry. Why isn’t there a way to embed or hotlink to images on this forum?

I am able to see the photo's , you did a great job on your kit bashes, I guess there are some new things to add to my Airfix Wishlist.

Randy