When are Hornby going to fix gap in dcc solution with loco detection?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my circuit and in testing I have achieved detection at up to 200mm with the RPR220. However, at that level of sensitivity the circuit was too sensitive as it was false triggered by daylight even on a cloudy day. After detuning my circuit I achieved a compromise between not being too sensitive to daylight [excepting directly on the detector bright sun-light through the windows in the height of summer] and a reliable detection range of 40mm.

I found a self adhesive reflective tape product that is specifically tuned to IR frequencies and a small area of the tape stuck below the loco provides extremely reliable detection.

My detector circuits are just simple 'is it there' or 'is it not there' type circuits, not 'bar-code' readers.

Anyway Chrissaf I must admit I didn't know you could get really small ones, so thank you for the information. I can see why Hornby didn't progress it any further, as you say they are probably reasonably reliable for reading "there" or "no there" signals, I am not so sure about picking up a barcode type message at variable distances. Anyway they didn't market it so that is that.

So modern detectors like the units I have bought not only detect a loco, but tell you what it is. For example if you just put a loco on your layout it'll tell you what it is (assuming you have your database of locos setup).

Of course to exploit this you have measure and record block lengths train lengths , speed profiles and so on and I get that is not for everyone. @ColinB (why can't use @ to tags friends on here) look for "deepfat" on LinkedIn and let's talk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adding in here, the summary of a discussion since (rightly) deleted from the “Sweep” thread:

RM currently contains all of the software needed to run the Hornby LD solution as it was mooted 5 and more years ago. What is missing is Hornby producing the hardware needed to run the software. It is not an issue of lack of support by HRMS or of the developer having left the organisation.

Colin, I understand and accept your having no need for RM, or even downloading the evaluation version. However, without it, you will find your understanding of the proposed LD system and its capabilities has some gaps. You can almost certainly fill in those gaps by opening the sticky “Commands” thread at the top of this forum so you can see the extent of the options available upon registering a detection. You will be able to see that the LD system as proposed is quite powerful and able to overcome the lack of RM knowing where anything is on the layout (except when detected by the LD at a sensor) quite elegantly. It still needs to deal with the problems Ray has identified though.

• 3 weeks later...

Automated coupling / uncoupling is done using an LGB uncoupler with a point motor which can be controlled from RailMaster. Then it is just a matter of getting the timing right to raise the uncoupler as the train passes slowly over it to uncouple. To couple again just drive the loco slowly into the parked rolling stock.