Beginners guide to the hobby?

Dan-1210852

Hi,

I have recently picked up an Intercity 225 set, and I am looking forward to getting into playing with this with my son.

I've been looking at various things online and in shops but to be honest most of this world is a mystery to me. Is there a book like "model trains for dummies" or a good website that explains all the ling and abbreviations (e.g: DVT), walks you through maintenance, designing layouts etc. ?

Thanks,

Dan

Although it doesn't cover everything in your documentation wish-list, my 'Getting Started' PDF tutorial goes a little way to explaining the difference between DC Analogue and Digital DCC layout operation plus some other basic design aspects. My tutorial can be downloaded from the 'sticky post' at the top of the 'General Discussion' forum index.

forum_image_607b508a71c02.png.725f9cd38def44d718a84cbb72312f38.png

The other 'sticky posts' at the top of each forum section are worth reviewing for additional basic information.

With regard a 'book for dummies'... I'll leave others to make recommendations.

This website may be a little too deep for you in some of the website pages, but there is some basic info too.

Brian Lambert's Home Page.

There is a lot of 'blind leading the blind' dross on YouTube. The problem is that it takes the experienced to sort out the wheat from the chaff. So YouTube is rather a Catch 22 situation. Personally, I wouldn't trust anything seen on YouTube, unless it confirms what has been seen or read elsewhere.