Buildings

Blual

Hi, I have been given 2 tin plate buildings and I am asking for help to identify them. I have been told they are Hornby but that is as far as it goes. The smallest is 24 x 8 cm and has a sliding door either side, the big one is about 46 x 22 cm has 2 tracks

going through it and has opening doors either end. I have seen Hornby stuff in the past and it does look similar. Unfortunately I cannot put photos on the forum but if anyone thinks they can help me I'd gladly send them a few photos for them to look at.
Any

help would be appreciated

Alan

According to a couple of Hornby Dublo immediately post-war catalogues, they produced a double-road engine shed for a while. It is described as, "This accessory, for which there has been a great demand, is an attracive two-road building in modern style

with windows along each side, roof glazed with celluloid, and two bays each with smoke vent" in a "New Features 1939-40" supplement. I would think the basic model would have to have been constructed in tin or some other metal in those days. It's catalogue

code was D1. The supplement picture seems to indicate that it was in fact a through shed. Could this be one of your items?

I have now checked a "Meccano Products" price list dated August 1940 and under the heading "Hornby Trains" ("O" gauge, of course) are 3 different engine sheds Nos. 1, 1a, 2 and 2a. It also shows another 2 engine sheds numbered E1E and E2E under the heading

of "Hornby Accesories Fitted for Electric Lighting." Unfortunately there are no pictures.

• 1 month later...
The tin plate buildings are 0 gauge. The plywood ones are early Hornby Dublo 00 gauge. I also have some very old plans from the original "Hobbies" annual for railway buildings and these seem identical to the Dublo wooden ones. I was given the wooden shed

years ago by a friend. It sadly went on the tip. I have two Dublo plastic sheds and several extensions which made me a six road shed of double length on my old 3 rail layout. All lit with bits from the old Gov Surplus shop (long gone). Always full of locos

12 in the shed and 6-8 on the outside. I thought I had loads of locos then but now I have enough to model and run BR from Wick to Penzance!!! Time to clear out methinks.

Archived