Wrong decoders delivered

notechsavvy

Is anyone out there having the same problem as I am. I ordered a standard 8 pin decoder and took delivery of a 4 pin decoder which I returned. Having more locos to update, I then ordered six 8 pin decoders and promptly received six 4 pin decoders. Contacted Hornby who arranged collection of the six wrong decoders and delivery of seven 8 pin decoders. Would you believe, today I received seven 4 pin decoders. Contacted Hornby again but spoke to a different agent who said she would pass the problem on to my original contact who would ring back. She didn't. I rang ( before they closed) and spoke to my original contact who said she knew nothing about the issue but would sort it and ring back. Presently, she hasn't. Is anyone else ordering 8 pin decoders and having 4 pin delivered? Obviously the answer is to use other suppliers.

It does sound as if there is an error in the Hornby warehouse, maybe the 4 pin decoders have been put in the wrong warehouse picking bin. It really needs someone in Hornby to go and look physically in the warehouse to check. I can't recall anybody else raising this issue, but it does seem strange that you have been affected multiple times. Have you been placing your order online through the website or verbally over the phone. Maybe there is an issue with the website [this new website only went live in late March]. Maybe a 'phone order' will get the right decoders sent. Just as a double check, I assume that you are ordering them using the R8249 stock code number for 8 pin decoders and not R7274 for 4 pin ones.

Were the ones you got mis-packaged as R8249 or provided under their own R number.

By the way when the form asks for your title it means a title that describes your question such as ‘Incorrect decoders supplied’ or similar - not your salutation.

You can edit the title by clicking on the three vertical dots to the right of your post and selecting Edit. Click in the title box, make your changes and save it.

Order placed on line via the website. I didn't look too closely after seeing "4 pin" on the packaging. The R number on the delivery note was that for 8 pin. Thanks 96RAF for putting me right as to title not salutation. I tend to go along with the decoders being put in the wrong picking bin but surely the packer should check the correct item is being packed and ordering via the website automatically inserts the correct R number.

Unfortunately, the despatch of orders to retail customers (and retailers) is handled by Hornby's contracted logistics firm at a remote location and the stock pickers probably would not know a 4-pin decoder from a Flying Scotsman - they will take from the stock bin whatever the computer says should be in that bin. I know that from experience. You are very lucky if the person picking or packing your order has the time, knowledge or interest to do a double check, particularly when the item ordered and that being sent are very similar.