Identifying if my Class 3F Jinty is fitted with DCC

Christopher-1214885

I was given a Class 3F Jinty 0-6-0 No, 24 S&DJR as a gift and after investigating discovered that some were factory fitted with decoders. As I am about to embark on building a layout which will be DCC controlled I wanted to ascertain if the locomotive I have has DCC fitted. The Hornby box that it came in was labelled R2882 as part of the Railroad range and the locomotive is a very dark blue/black in colour with gold coloured SDJR lettering on the tanks and the numeral 24 gold in colour with a red outline. There is also a small logo on the right hand side of the cab entrance which appears to be 3P with 3G directly underneath. Can anybody throw any light on this identification and the DCC issue. Thanks Chris

Hello Christopher

The 3p 3g means class 3 passenger class 3 goods .basically meaning the loco power pulling its stock.

Now DCC fitted if you look at the rear of the loco you will see a little lug holding the body on .If you press this in and lift the shell it should pop off .look at the motor area and if DCC fitted you will see a decoder .usually a 4 pin .

One way to check if a loco has a decoder fitted or not is to briefly place the loco on a DCC track. If it buzzes in protest then it definitely does not have a decoder.

Do not leave such a loco on track as it is seeing full track potential as an AC voltage which will damage the motor.

Hi Christopher, the digital version of the SDJR loco with ‘24’ running number was originally produced in R1125 Somerset Belle train set. As originally produced the R2882 version was not digital.

If I remember correctly, if the loco has a factory fitted chip, the loco normally has DCC on the baseplate.

I will find out my example of the trainset to confirm later today. Regards