R2371M Coronation Class - DCC ready?

Chris-765820

Hi All

I just bought a second-hand R2371M Coronation Scot and a new DCC decoder.

The engine is Princess Alexandra. I understood that it would be DCC ready with an 8 pin socket but it doesn't seem to be so.

The leaflet is 4/986C 0202 and makes no mention of DCC. The images in the leaflet look to match the loco with pickup from tender and loco. The leaflet has R2371M 19 04 overprinted on it in blue.

Is this the wrong engine and leaflet for this set? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for reading this

Chris

Hi Chris - welcome to the forum.

Hattons and the Model Rail Database show this loco as DCC ready with an 8 pin socket. What have you got inside the loco? Can you post an image?

Just a little housekeeping note, this forum does not require you to paragraph your text. A simple enter [or carriage return if you are old school] will do it for you. I have amended your post.

Let us know if you have any problems posting an image.

R-

Not knowing what your prior knowledge of DCC is, then I provide the comments below in case they describe something that you are not aware of.

Don't forget, in a 'DCC Ready' locomotive, regardless of the socket type [whether it be 4, 6, 8, 21 pins etc]. You will not see an 'empty socket'. A 'DCC Ready' loco needs what is termed a 'Blanking Plate' fitted in the socket to enable the electrical current from the electrical wheel pickups to be passed through the socket to the motor. An 8 pin 'Blanking Plate' may also have a couple of SMD components on it as well. Thus to the 'untrained eye' you may be seeing a socket and not recognising it as a socket because it has something already plugged into it. Converting a 'DCC Ready' loco to DCC requires the 'Blanking Plate' to be removed and stored away for safe keeping [can be used as a fault diagnostic aid to revert a loco back to DC for testing OR replaced if selling the loco on to somebody else]. Then the DCC decoder is plugged into the socket to replace the removed 'Blanking Plate'.

EDIT: Whilst Rob [96RAF] was posting his comment below I was researching this loco via Google. That research seems to conclude that Rob is correct and that the model predates being DCC Ready with a factory fitted socket. Many adverts use the term 'DCC Compatible' rather than 'DCC Ready'. 'DCC Compatible' just means that a loco is suitable for conversion to DCC, but does not include a factory fitted socket to make that conversion 'plug n play' and that some soldering skills are required to facilitate the conversion.

Although Pat Hammond's directory quotes 2008 for this train pack, the R2371M catalogue number dates it to 2004 if issued in correct sequence. His directory also states that DCC sockets started to be fitted in the tender from 2005 but does not mention loco-mounted sockets. As the Duchess started to be fitted with loco-mounted sockets from 2005, I think the 2005 Coronation reference should be the same. Unfortunately this appears to be yet another loco that is not covered by a Service Sheet to give a more official status.

On balance, I concur it seems likely that the loco is not DCC-ready.

Even if it isn't DCC ready, with this one it is really easy, but I am pretty sure it is DCC ready. Getting the body off on these is relatively easy, check you don't have a speedo drive to remove before you pull the body off.

I am fairly knew to modern Hornby although I do have a large collection of Dublo. The model railway has been my retirement/COVID project.

I have removed the loco body and looked inside the tender and there is no socket for DCC. I have enabled previous DCC ready Hornby locos so I know what they look like. I am inclined to have a go at converting it to DCC inside the tender - there is plenty of room. The disadvantage of this is that I will have to chop the pickup inside the loco so it will just be tender wheels for power. I have had problems with power on my layout from diesels and 0-6-0 but not from any tender engines.

Can anyone recommend a decoder please - I am not inclined to cut up the Hornby one I just bought.

Is it possible to buy an 8 pin socket and connect that to the loco so I can use my Hornby decoder,and replace with TTS sound decoder when I can source one?

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Chris

It is advisable to fit a socket to make installation of a decoder easier and there is no more work involved than hard wiring a decoder.

Suitable aftermarket sockets are available or you can buy the standard Hornby part and fit that.

As you need to run wires from the motor to the socket in any case then you may as well keep all the wheel pickups you can as these make for more reliable running.

To retain loco pick-up and the ability to separate the loco and tender, it may be worth considering the Hornby X6113/X9958 4-pin plug and socket arrangement as fitted to current locos, although your tender chassis will probably not have the cut-out to take the socket as intended. The existing electrical drawbar would then become just a physical link.

What I do, is as "Going Spare" suggests. Buy the 4 pin plug and socket. On the tender, I think your tender bottom is coloured but if it is not, you can buy the upgraded tender bottom that takes the 4 pin socket. You will also need the tender wheel holder that has the cut out. The tender bottom is the same on the Duchess, Princess and rebuilt Scot classes, so it gives you lots of spares options. Alternatively as I have done with models where I cannot get a new tender bottom is file out a rectangular hole in the existing tender. As for the DCC socket, Peters Spares did have some of the latest weights that have the mounting points on them Sadly he has sold out, so you can mount a Hornby PCB holder onto the weight, to take the 8 pin PCB. I am currently doing the same modification to a City of Glasgow that is not DCC ready.