Paint chip

Hi guys,

I haven’t posted anything new recently on this forum for about two years as I’ve been busy with things like family and work.

I’ve just bought a new terrier leaden hall locomotive, however unfortunately when I got it out of the box I noticed a small paint chip on the die cast metal baseplate just below the wheel splashers.

Does anyone know how I can fix this chip as it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I've tried repainting it with some alcohol based Tamiya model paint and although it covers the chipped area well enough I have to be extremely careful not to touch the repainted area or handle it to much when picking up and placing the loco on the tracks as the paints comes off again. Ive tried using some Gaia paint primer before repainting using the Tamiya paint and although this helps the paint does still rechip.

I can’t send the model back to Hornby as I purchased it from outside the uk, I live in Tokyo Japan.

I suppose so long as I’m careful not to touch the repainted area when I’m running the train it should be ok as the baseplate is above the wheels and is not in contact with any moving parts or the track.

Does anyone here know how I can fix this issue, or should I

A just lump it and keep using my current terrier.

B just lump and buy another new undamged loco.

or C keep trying to fix this paint chip.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Moderator’s Note: Your post edited to take out excessive white space between paragraphs.

Hi, TB. It seems odd that the paint rubs off again despite the use of primer. The only suggestion I can make is to try Humbrol enamel - the old type spirit based stuff. I don't know if it is still available because I use a carefully hoarded supply and have not bought any for years. It is certainly tough. I used some to patch paint some damage on an enamel railway sign (full size). It's been outside, mounted on my shed roof, in all weathers for ten years and shows no sign of coming off. I do hope that you find something that works.

Humbrol enamels are still available in some places in the UK, I bought some last month. They are probably on eBay or similar as well but I don’t know what the rules would be sending them abroad?

I have found Tamiya paints to be very poor with a brush and won’t use them any more. I suspect they are much better if used with an airbrush but I don’t have one so can’t confirm this. For acrylic the Vallejo and Humbrol are far superior, they give a better finish and are more resistant to rubbing off the model. I would still always go for the Humbrol enamels if they are available.

Hi,

thanks for the advice I will try some humbroll paint on it and see what happens.

what I did first time was use an undercoat of Gaia paint primer, then brushed on some black Tamiya paint over it once the primer had dried. For the first few weeks everything was fine, then after I had picked it up and put it on and off the tracks a few times the paint chipped back off.

I suppose it could be that the paint primer I used was no good or that because I don’t have good modeling skills I repainted the damaged area wrong.

Anyway I will give the humbroll a try and see what happens, humbroll is tough to get out here in Japan seeing as it’s an import brand here,but the hornby stockist where I got my locomotive from also stocks it.

cheers the flying Brit.

Hi again, TB.

I agree wholeheartedly with RT about the superiority of Vallejo and Humbrol acrylics for brush painting.

When you buy the Humbrol paint make sure you get the oil based enamel paint, not the acrylic (Humbrol do both) and you will need white spirit to clean your brush. As the chip has been painted a few times, do make sure that it is clean, and wipe over it with white spirit to remove any grease or oil before applying the paint.

Best of luck.

It`s probably the plastic body hasn`t been cleaned properly from the realese agent after it came out of the tool.Likewise,if you are repainting models,don`t use washing up liquid as it contains Lanolin and the paint won`t stick to it.

Ray.

The OP said “... a small paint chip on the die cast metal baseplate... “, hence comments about plastic are not applicable to his problem. Most alloy requires an etch primer for paint adhesion to be effective.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised that doubts have been raised about the availability of Humbrol enamels. I've tried acrylics, but always go back to enamels; some of mine are thirty years old and still usable. There are many online suppliers, including Humbrol themselves, but they are best bought in batches to make economic use of p&p.

A little tip I found in the middle of last week. Use PVA glue diluted to 50/50 and paint onto the metal. Then when dry apply the acrylic paint that is the correct colour. So far my problem has been cured where paint just kept peeling.