Problem Changing Address on LokPilot Decoder

Hi folks, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the light functions to work when I change the address on a LokPilot decoder. Its a Murphy Models Cl.121 with a MM0004 decoder. The lights work on the default address 003 but won't work on any other address. I tried 042 and 004. I'm using Railmaster 1.74 with Hornby elink. No issues with any other brand of decoder. Any advice would be appreciated.

All I can suggest is double clicking CV7 in the RailMaster CV Read/Write screen and ensure that your specific decoder is first listed in the drop down selection box that opens, then secondly selected before trying to change the address.

I have Murphy Models Class 121s running with Railmaster without any problem. The one fitted with a Murphy Models non sound decoder (MM0006) is set to address 132 and the lights work as expected.

I note that you say you are using the MM0004 decoder which is set up for the Class 201 locos. The correct decoder for the 121s is MM0006 and has different CV settings. However both are LokPilot decoders at heart and you say that the lights work with address 03. I have not tried using MM0004 in a Class 121.

You say you are using an eLink with RM. Do you have access to another DCC controller, if so you could cross check if the problem is decoder address related or controller/RM related.

If the decoder is an MM specific item matched to their model you could ask the question of them also.

I have just been having a quick read of the LokPilot decoder manual and it is a complex device. One of its quirks is the need to fiddle with things to get the lights (and other stuff) to work, which is not a fault but a characteristic due to the vague nature of NMRA DCC rules and regs and the way these are interpreted by the various kit manufacturers.

It may be worth downloading the (68 page) manual from ESU and checking the revision state of your decoder against that of the manual to ensure the instructions you have are correct for the decoder version. If necessary the decoder firmware can be updated via a LokProgrammer, but this may affect things incorporated by MM, so again worth checking with them.

Then check the relevant CV values are set after your address change.

Just to add to Rob's reply.

Most decoders need to have 128 speed steps enabled in CV29 for directional lights to work. Normally changing an address would leave CV29 alone, the only exception to this being if setting a long DCC address [one above 127].

Given what Rob has documented, then just maybe when you are changing your DCC address, CV29 is also being changed [maybe to a value of zero]. A CV29 = 0 value would disable directional lights. So go through your DCC change address process, confirm that the loco is running on the new address, then check the value of CV29. If it is not one of these specific values 2, 3, 6, 7, 34, 35, 38 or 39 then directional lighting is disabled in CV29. The decoder default value for CV29 is 6 for DCC addresses 1 to 127 and 38 for DCC addresses 128 to 9999 with the factory default being 6.

Thanks all, Tarabuses, you are correct. It is indeed a MM0006 chip. This does not show up in RM under CV7 yet. CV29 was the culprit, changing to 000 when addressing the loco. Still can't get cab lights to work but have all directional lights working with CV29 at 007, including red outside marker going forward. Can switch all front and back on and off with F1 & F2. I'm sure the cab lights can be sorted with a bit of CV fiddling. Thanks for the help folks. Very much appreciated.

CV29 = 7 means that your orange and grey motor wires are reversed where they physically connect to the motor. Not a big issue as using an 'odd number CV29 value corrects this logically. But a perfectionist would probably reverse the wires.

Just to save you time and energy, EricJ, there are no cab lights on the MM Class 121. All marker lights and the headlight should turn on directionally with F0. If you do not have all lights working with F0 then check that all the dip switches are turned on.

I have been having a play with what I think is a Lokpilot clone as the lights work in the same fashion, hence why I was reading the manual.

To get the fancy additional light functions to work you have to have F0 on first. This enables the front and rear markers and makes them react directionally. It could be much the same with your MM decoder.

Just to save you time and energy, EricJ, there are no cab lights on the MM Class 121. All marker lights and the headlight should turn on directionally with F0. If you do not have all lights working with F0 then check that all the dip switches are turned on.

Thanks for this. Thinking that I had cab lights and they were not working would have driven me mad.