Popping sound made by Peckett 614

Stephen-1211844

Hi, I have had a Centenary Peckett 614 R3825 for a couple of months and it has started making a continuous popping sound when its running (DCC). The popping isn't synchronised with the rotation of the wheels and I don't think its mechanical in that sense. It sounds like its being made by the motor. Could it be electrical? And is there anything I can do to remedy it? Its fitted with a Hornby R8249 decoder. Thanks.

Does it have sound?

Sounds like this may be one for the DCC section.

BEFORE that, I would check that the motor mount is fully 'nipped up'.

You say it's not synchronised with the wheels, otherwise I'd say to check the pick-up wipers and also the rods aren't interfering, plus to 'nip up' (carefully) the coupling rod screws - CAREFUL, they're fragile.

Al.

Hi

As supplied, new this loco is not DCC Fitted. So you have fitted a Hornby R8249 decoder yourself. Is the decoder or its wiring touching anything when the body is fitted?

If the above is proved not to be the cause then I would suggest, that if possible, you remove the decoder and refit the DC operation Blanking Plug then test the loco on pure DC on a separate piece of track that's not connected to the DCC system. If you do not have a DC (analogue) controller then use a new PP3 9volt battery connected across the rails. Note, the loco will not be controllable on a PP3 battery, but it should move forwards or in reverse happily!

Does the "Popping" sound occur? If so, check for something that is not in the correct place - Wheel wiper bent. Con rod on one side (or both) bent etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Flashbang, thanks. On DCC I took the body off and ran it: popping disappeared. I've checked the wires: seem fine. The wipers are all in contact. The metal around the chip is insulated with tape (not the chip itself). I've tried running it under DC (minus chip) on test track, with body, using a Guagemaster Combi: still pops. Very odd: I'm going to adjust the con rod nuts (need to buy a tool though).

Hi

If the "Popping" is occurring under DC running then its probably something mechanical? Turn the loco upside-down and look carefully at left and right hand sides. Do any of the Con rods appear different? Do any wheel wipers not seem to be equal and not rub on the sides of the wheels internal face? All these can lead to a "Popping" sound, otherwise its something internal within the loco that needs investigating.

• 3 weeks later...

@Stephen

Moderator Note:

Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there is definitely more than one member with your name.