Why doesn't Flying Scotsman have smoke deflectors?

YeovilGlover

Good Morning All,

I have tried searching this matter, but can't see an existing thread on it.

I was wondering why the Hornby Flying Scotsman doesn't have the smoke deflectors fitted? They're a (very) long-term/old modification on the real engine, along with the double chimney, yet this isn't reflected on the model?

I would like to buy one for my two sons' model railway as they love FS, but would like to get one which is closer to the real locomotive.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi

Hornby have produced FS with smoke deflectors and double chimney - there are some on ebay. The current model is probably as it was when first built. If you can get hold of one, depending on livery R2441 is in Apple Green, as originally shown at the NRM, or R3443 in Brunswick Green as currently running. Both have smoke deflectors and double chimney - they are superb models - I have both.

forum_image_60ffd111a6bc7.thumb.png.8bc83d57dac6a046744815f70f4331af.png

Collecting variations of Flying Scotsman got me back into trains again in the 1990's. I have 6 variations in a cabinet and 2 that are packed away. In the 60's Flying Scotsman was outshopped in real life in BR green (dark) with single chimney and non corridor tender. Then it was fitted with a double tender and German type smoke deflectors. Once Taken out of service it returned to preservation by Mr Alan Peglar with single chimney in LNER Apple green and no smoke deflectors. From then on until present it's had livery changes major repairs and morphed yet again into the last BR 60's variation. Now if your two boys like Flying Scotsman get them to look at some photos on Google of the variants and choose one from there. Next look at what is up for sale new and secondhand. Keep an eye out in the TV listings as there are several Scotsman films appearing from time to time and as recent as three weeks back on Yesterday, if I remember correctly.

I used to spend many a happy hour or two, when it went to Carnforth, in preservation, on the footplate.

You can get the double chimney / German deflectors version in LNER (incorrectly painted by NRM a few years ago before the rebuild) and also with the option to fit, double chimney in WW2 black 'NE' livery.

As stated, there are many iterations.

There are also 'full fat' and Railroad versions - take care which you want.

I think the Railroad versions are only Single chimney, non smoke deflectors.

Al.

In the current range Hornby have two versions of the Flying Scotsman. In the main range they have Flying Scotsman as A1 during her early period with LNER 1922 to1928 with single chimney, LNER Green . The Railroad Range has Flying Scotsman, LNER Green, single chimney with corridor tender 1928 to 1944, when she was rebuilt as an A3. There have been many version of her in BR Green 1948 to late 1950's when she gained her double chimney. As other have said there was ones with her fitted with smoke deflectors and double chimney.

PS Hornby have a Flying Scotsman in BR Green as she is at the NRM York with double chimney and German Smoke deflectors, in the current main range as well.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I'd just like to buy a Flying Scotsman Locomotive in 00 gauge with smoke deflectors which match it's real-life guise. I'm surprised it isn't readily available to buy in model-form considering they have been on the real engine for so many years - 50 years or so - as I see a picture in the BBC article mentioned above dated 1963.

Is it possible to buy a Flying Scotsman and retrofit smoke deflectors to it? I could 3d print them if someone had a CAD model of them I suppose. Has anyone tried that avenue before?

Thanks

The trouble with the one on EBay, ellocoloco it is tender driven. I don't know if Hornby improved the pickup arrangement on their later tender driven models, as the early one I owned, always had issues on bad pieces of track. Mind you, you could do what I have just done, buy the tender driven one and fit a modern Hornby Railway chassis. A3/A4 chassis seem to be reasonably cheap, you might need to do a bit of machining with the Dremel, but the finished article is very good.

I've not had any recent experience of Hornby steamers with most of my interest being in Electrotren Era V.

I do have a number of Roco steamers with tender drive and have had no issues but they normally pick up off all wheels and several of the ones I have are combined loco/tender drive - motor in tender driving two axles and then via a carden shaft to to the loco and driving on 3 or 5 axles depending on the loco.

I'll defer to your experience with OO. yum

For the OP @YeovilGlover, you just have to decide if your sons are worried if the model is loco or tender drive.

I had lots of issues with my tender driven locos "skating" where the loco part slides across the track without turning the wheels. I eventually tracked it to the valve gear not being perfect, but it took a long time. It got even worse when I added extra pickups. As I say I eventually sorted it, but once I found that I could get the later Hornby chassis to fit, it became history. The other issue with the ringfields is the amount of current they can draw. I did replace a lot of mine with the 5 pole variety, but even so, it limits the type of decoder you can use.

We can probably blame Alan Pegler who must have gone to a lot of trouble getting Flying Scotsman back to single chimney condition when it was first preserved, which is probably the time it got most photographed and becam e more famous.

Although it is interesting to note that the current Hornby model is of it in its A1 guise rather than A3.